Thursday, November 27, 2008

Giving Thanks

Last Thanksgiving none of us knew it was our last with Jason. Even though things will be SO different this year and we certainly have experienced such a huge and tragic loss, I still want to give thanks to our Lord for His many blessings.

I am so very thankful EVEN in my great loss. Today I give thanks for my Savior, who has sustained me in both the good and bad days. Today I give thanks for His sovereignty. I don't have to understand His ways, but I give thanks that I can trust Him even when I can't see His plan. Today I give thanks that Jesus conquered death once and for all and that because of that truth, we all will live FOREVER with Him. How that promise gets me from one day to the next without Jason! Today I give thanks for Jason. I give thanks for the 16 years I had with him. I give thanks for our children. Oh, how I treasure them more and more each day!

I give thanks for my entire family. They have certainly done so very much in helping me get through this very hard year. I give thanks for 2008. It most definitely hasn't been the year that I had hoped for, but to God be the glory for all He has done because of Jason's leukemia! I give thanks for His church. Not just Temple, but I give thanks for the entire body of Christ. I give thanks for the opportunity to see the church be the church during this valley. I give thanks for my friends. I am so blessed to have such wonderful friends who have served me in so many ways this year. I am in debt to them all for a long, long time!

I could go on and on, but instead I will include Psalm 138. It sums up my heart on this Thanksgiving day.

I will praise you, O LORD, with all my heart; before the "gods" I will sing your praise.
I will bow down toward your holy temple and will praise your name for your love and your faithfulness, for you have exalted above all things your name and your word.
When I called, you answered me; you made me bold and stouthearted.
May all the kings of the earth praise you, O LORD, when they hear the words of your mouth.
May they sing of the ways of the LORD, for the glory of the LORD is great.
Though the LORD is on high, he looks upon the lowly, but the proud he knows from afar.
Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve my life; you stretch out your hand against the anger of my foes, with your right hand you save me.
The LORD will fulfill his purpose for me; your love, O LORD, endures forever— do not abandon the works of your hands.

Finally, I give thanks for YOU! You will never know how your words of encouragement and prayers have carried me through some most difficult days. May God bless you all!

Give thanks to the Lord! His love endures FOREVER!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

And, all of us, Stephanie, are thankful for YOU! You have blessed us with your courage, strength, faithfulness to God, your complete trust in God's plan for your life, your devotion to your children, your supportive family. I could go on & on!! You have blessed me personally more than you will ever know. Jason, also, was an immense blessing to me even though I never met him--how faithfully he trusted His Lord, even in the midst of great suffering & pain.

We hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving Day!! We still pray for you continually even though I don't post very often now.

Love to you & your loved ones,

Janice/John Martin
Hattiesburg, MS

Becky said...

I love you and hope y'all have a wonderful time today. Don't burn the turkey.

3boysinBama said...

You never cease to amaze me sweet friend. In your own valley you have been such an inspiration to me. I pray that 2009 brings you joy. Can't wait to see you at Christmas.



Kaysha

Anonymous said...

I AM THANKFUL FOR YOU AND YOUR TESTIMONY! GOD HAS USED YOU TO TOUCH SO MANY PEOPLE THIS YEAR...MYSELF INCLUDED! I HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A GREAT DAY. WE ARE ALL TRULY A BLESSED PEOPLE! HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Laurie in Ca. said...

I am so thankful for you Stephanie and for the friendship we have from afar. I pray that your day brings many blessings to you as you have blessed so many here, especially me. I see Gods Grace so strong in your walk as this year has been such a heartbreaking one in so many ways. Yet you turn to the Lord each and every time and He sustains and loves you. I love you too and hope that you find many treasures for your heart as you celebrate this day with all of your family while Jason is in your heart.

Love, Laurie in Ca.

Carl Fortenberry said...

Dear Stephanie,
I rarely post but often read and pray for you and your family. Courtney and I both thought of you throughout the day today. I am thankful that my family if different because of your family. Your courageous testimony and witness has been such a sobering reminder for me to soak up every moment I am blessed to have with Courtney and our children. Not just on Thanksgiving day, but every day.

It's so easy for me to say, "I don't know what tomorrow holds", but I have watched you live it this past year...with much grace, humility, and transparency I might add.

Each time I pass you in the halls at church dragging all my children as you wrangle yours, I want to stop you...but it's not the most cundusive place for a conversation...so just please know we are one of the many people on the "sidelines" of your life praying, hoping, and trusting!

May the very essence of His Presence in you continue to manifest in joy, peace, and hope!
Love, Carl Fortenberry

Anonymous said...

Stephanie,
Thank you for your strength and your hope in Jesus. It is an inspiration to me. I am still praying for you.

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving. Hope you had a great one! You all remain in my prayers. Michele

www.caringbridge.org/visit/brentonroberts