Saturday, October 25, 2008

A Year Ago


















Exactly one year ago my family spent several days in Disney World. Those memories now are priceless. We had such a great time. Little did we know that 3 months later we would be facing the toughest year of our life.

Jason absolutely loved Disney and all that went along with it. He had a week off last October so spending it there pleased Jason so much. Jason, the kids and I met my mom, dad, Scott, Ashley, Melinda, Wayne (Ashley's parents), Daniel and Haley (Ashley's brother and fiance' - by the way, we're pretty pumped at that engagement). Anyway, Brad just happened to be in Lakeland, Florida, competing in a canine competition with Mikey that week. Looking back, I don't believe he just happened to be there, but rather God ordained this time for Brad to be with all of us, but more importantly for Brad to spend some quality time with Jason. It thrilled Jason so much that Brad took the effort out of his busy schedule of competing to come 'hang' with us at Disney. I know Brad is as thankful for that time as I am. The weather was great while we were there, but the fellowship was even better. I showed the kids the pictures from the trip not long ago and oh, the memories that came flooding out of their mouth about that trip. You see, that was the last family vacation we had with Jason.

The Lord has blessed me beyond measure with WONDERFUL sisters in law. One lives next door while the other lives in Memphis. They both are amazing and have served me in so many ways. Ashley, also known as Ah-Lee, called me several weeks ago with a really big surprise. She informed me that she was planning to take me, Anna Lea, Jon Brent, and Ross to Disney in November. The plan is to leave the day after Jason's birthday. A nice diversion to what could be another really tough week. How kind and thoughtful is that! The kids are so excited. Jon Brent keeps saying, "we're going to Disney World in Ovember!"

Ashley was worried that visiting Disney this soon after the loss of Jason would be too hard. I am sure there will be some tough moments as Jason and I visited Disney MANY times over the last 10 years, but I pray there will be many smiles as we remember the fun we had a year ago with sweet Jason.

14 comments:

Becky said...

They don't call it the happiest place on earth for nothin'...

Tell Nancy to count me in for some baby Lally time

Laurie in Ca. said...

Great pictures and sweet memories Stephanie. Thinking of you daily and asking the Lord to continue to carry you and the kids as I know He does. I am so thankful you have such wonderful family surrounding you, loving you through. It is such a gift. I hope your weekend is a good one. I love you.

Laurie in Ca.

Amy said...

Great pictures. Great memories.

Wanted you to know that our neighbor, Mr. Ralph, died this afternoon. Please pray for their family. They are thanking God that he went quickly but also grieving.

Love you, Amy

Anonymous said...

Hey Stephanie, Hope this works! So proud to see the precious pictures. I continue praying for you and the children, and keep you in my thoughts. Your faith is still amazing me, sweetie. Hang in there, and know I lift you and yours up often prayer. Got your sweet email. Thanks! Love, Emily Stogner

Heather said...

i LOVE these pics of jason, especially the one with the lion or whatever it is. he is looking all serious and it makes me smile.

so sweet of ashley to take y'all to disney. can you believe i was in orlando last week and didn't go to disney once??? isn't that unamerican or something?

keep pressing on, steph. so many of us have not forgotten your pain and loss and we continue to speak your name over and over to God begging Him to bring you comfort soon.

it was nice talking to you this week. maybe i'll call you back today at a more reasonable hour :-)
love, hb

NIKKI said...

Stephanie,
Just wanted to let you know I am still praying and reading. You and your beautiful children are still in my prayers daily!

her said...

And that is why I love taking pics...it leads to so many story-telling adventures that live grants us.

I know you enjoyed hearing the kids talk about those pictures..and in 'Ovember' you get to take more pics and make more memories.

I know that Jason would be proud of how you are handling things now.

Still in my prayers sweet Steph.
Joy for your day....Debi O.

Leslie said...

Stephanie---I talked with a mom today that recently lost her husband...back in July...and she also has three children. I thought of you, as I often do, and just wanted to let you know that we are continuing to pray for you and your precious kids...as well as your extended families.

Laurie in Ca. said...

Hi Stephanie,

Just stopping in this morning to let you know I am thinking about you and hoping that your week is a blessed one for you. I pray for your strength each day as you continue this journey in the new normal. I am so glad you have the Lord to lean on every step of the way. He loves you guys so very much and so do I.

Love, Laurie in Ca.

Anonymous said...

Stephanie - I got caught up on your last couple of therapy sessions this morning, as I have had two rounds of house guests in the last week, and no time for the computer. I actually thought we were going to have a little visit from JM & Peggy, if they headed in this direction as she thought they were a month or so ago. So sorry we didn't get to see them. I have included a devotional that a friend sent me this morning...that I thought you would enjoy. I know these are tough times, and I will continue to lift you in prayer every single day and night. Most sincerely, carolyn laster

He Will Respond

Today's Scripture

“Oh, that we might know the Lord! Let us press on to know Him. He will respond to us as surely as the arrival of dawn or the coming of rains in early spring” (Hosea 6:3).

Today's Word

God promises that He is near to those who call upon His name. It doesn’t matter where you are or what you’re going through; He is your deliverer. He’ll bring light into your darkest hour; He’ll bring rain into the dry places; He’ll bring restoration and healing to the broken places. When you call on His name, you can be assured that He will respond. As sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, God will faithfully respond when you seek Him.

Sometimes, people think they have to clean themselves up or change their behavior or habits before they can turn to Him, but that’s not what God says. He is ready to receive you just as you are.. Even if you feel like a mess, He’ll take your mess and turn it into a message. His arms are open wide today. Open your heart and call upon Him. Press on to know Him and His goodness.

A Prayer for Today

Father in heaven, thank You for always receiving me with open arms. I choose today to give You all that I am. I choose to press on that I may know You. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

Rebekah said...

Thinking of you and your family today! Thank goodness for memories!

God Bless!

Rebekah, Jason, Jaden & Baby#2 Clark

her said...

I know who the lion is!!!

He is from JoJo's Circus! Although I don't remember his name, I have watched this show a ga-zillion times w/my granddaughters!

Joy, Debi

Anonymous said...

Steph,

If I had only known that the trip to Disney would be the last one with J, Mikey and I would have been in the hotel room with ya'll. I would have even rode space mountain, etc. with J. I don't think it was by chance I was there either. Love ya'll

BRAD

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful. I know my family and I love Disney. Hope the kids have fun.

Tripp