Wednesday, October 22, 2008

It's just Wednesday

Is it just Wednesday? Seems like this week has lasted forever. The week has brought some moments I'd like not to have to be living through, but my God is faithful to give me breaks of joy as well. Monday was a tough day because I had to make myself go and pick out the head stone for Jason's grave. I know many do this very quickly after the loss of their loved one, but I just haven't had the strength to do it. There are many reasons I couldn't bring myself to do this, but Monday I had to put aside my reasons and just get it done. I walked in the monument company and literally felt like I was going to be sick. Doing something like this for your 33 year old husband is NOT normal. This is something you do WITH your spouse in your 70s. Right? Thankfully the individual working on Monday was most helpful and made this horrific task somewhat easier. When we were leaving an elderly couple drove in to do what I had just done, but they were getting to do it together. For a brief second I was so incredibly jealous of this couple that were complete strangers to me. Jealous of the fact that they have probably been married for 50 or so years. I pray they know how blessed they are to have had their mate by their side for so long. Something I so wish I would have been given the opportunity with sweet Jason, but that wasn't the plan and I must rest in His perfect ways even in the midst of my deepest pain.

My heart has hurt for another family this week as well. During Jason's illness, I came in contact with MANY families who were and still are fighting leukemia. One of those families was the Brown family. Cameron, who is 8, was diagnosed with AML when he was 4. After 2 transplants, he has relapsed again and has been sent home with no further treatment options. There is nothing more the doctors can do for him and unless our Lord chooses to heal him then he will meet Jesus in a matter of weeks. As I read Lori's entries on their caring bridge site, my heart breaks so deeply for her. (Lori is Cameron's mother) I so badly want to just hug her and serve her in some tangible way right now. As I was preparing to write her a message, I knew that NOTHING I could say could make this better for her. No words that I could possibly write would bring her real comfort. No words could take away the pain she is feeling. I hate that I know all too well the dark road she will have to walk in the coming days. No, I don't know what it is like to lose a child, but I do know how it hurts to lose someone you love with all you have to this nasty disease. Please pray along with me for the Brown family.

Praise God there will come a day when we won't have to deal with ANY disease. Praise God there will come a day when He will wipe away our EVERY tear... FOREVER.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so heartbroken for the Brown's. I can honestly say that I despise everything about leukemia. Other diseases are just as bad, but leukemia struck us. For those who want to let the Brown's know you are praying for them, their caringbridge site is:

www.caringbridge.org/visit/cameronbrown

Love you sis. When you feel down, don't forget the awesome example you are for us all.

Scott

P.S. JB was great last weekend. I can see his daddy all over him.

her said...

I will keep the Brown's in my prayers....how sad it is to loose smeone who gives you rays of sunshine everyday!

You are so right, words of care and prayers do not seem like they are enough when someone you care about is going thru a dark spot in life....but they are all we have and when said w/compassion we hope they mean something to the person we care about.

We have all felt that way about you and your family...many times over. So we continue w/words and if we are luck to be close enough, we serve those we care about.

The ole "sticks and stones" is not so true, b/c words do hurt BUT THEY ALSO HEAL! Praise God!

Joy, Debi O

Rebekah said...

I just found your site and wanted to tell you how beyond sorry I am for the loss of your prescious husband ... please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you as you travel this road unknown ...

God Bless you and your family!

Rebekah Clark

Janice Gundy said...

Stephanie... praying for you again and again. So much to deal with. I wish all the hard stuff would end, but that's not happening until THE END! In the meantime you will grow stronger yet in your understanding of God's sufficient grace for each minute. Please know that we want to be an encouragement to you just like you are feeling for the Brown family. That's why I'm leaving my comment... hoping that this electronic hug/thought helps bring an ounce of comfort. (Kind of a "ditto" of Debi's comment.)

We love you and the prayers will NOT STOP! Love, Janice

Anonymous said...

Dear Stephanie & Family,
Still continuing to pray for ya'll daily!

I have been following Cameron Brown's site as well, so sad for a young child! We do know God is still performing miracles daily!

Thank you Steph for continuing to be an inspiration for us all!