Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Acting a little more like Jason




So, check out this photo... many of you received this picture in the mail because this was our Christmas card in 2004. If you recall the greeting went like this..."Tis the reason to be jolly!" Yes, I am FULLY aware of the real reason we are to be jolly at Christmas and that is the birth of our Savior, but I was just having some fun. I was MOST pumped about George W. getting elected to serve another 4 years then. I loved that man, still do. Anyway, I mentioned the other night how Jason didn't get ruffled about much other than my obsession with politics and children's clothing. Jason would usually just shake his head and ignore me when I would start ranting at the tv during a debate or watching some of the liberal media report any news story in regards to politics. Now this is something I so cherish about Jason.

Even in high school when Jason and I first started dating, I was guilty of being too involved in presidential campaigns. He never understood why I wore Bush/Quayle stickers everyday when I wasn't even old enough to vote. He certainly didn't understand why I cried the entire day that Bill Clinton was inaugurated. Then, when I started making Anna Lea wear a Bush/Cheney sticker when she was only 2, he was totally annoyed. Can you tell by his smile how he wasn't as into this Christmas card idea as I was?

Do I think he didn't care? Not for a second. He cared tremendously about our country, but Jason just trusted in our sovereign Lord a little more than me. Even now, I am learning from Jason. I haven't been able to get as involved in this presidential campaign as I usually get, but I can honestly say that although it looks grim for my 'team' to win at this point, I am trusting our Lord like Jason did.

Jason used to remind me this each time I would get scared, worried or flustered over an election. Regardless of the outcome, He is in control! Whatever the outcome on November 4th, our Lord won't be surprised. Or as my friend Mike Madaris would say, he won't be scratching his head saying, "how did that happen?" Our God sees and knows all. So, I will continue to pray that the right team (no pun intended) wins, but I know our God is still on the throne. I think Jason would be proud that I am finally acting a little more like him in this regard.

P.S. Go McCain/Palin! :) Yes, I do have a bumper sticker on my car. Jason would expect nothing less of me! ha!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

good morning...venting about this frightening situation politically is probably really good for you. Focus strongly, as I am, on praying. Though I think the direction this country has gone in must be a tremendous disappointment to God, much as a parent is disappointed in a child that goes far astray, I don't believe He is ready to throw the towel in on us yet. Throughout the day, I pray that McCain and Palin are receiving the guidance, strength, words, and wisdom they need to convey their message to the voters of this country. I think you are wise to 'get fired up' about politics, for at your age, and the age of your children, who is elected will definitely affect the dynamics of your life for a long, long time. I will just bet that in this election, your Jason would be alot more active and vocal, because there is truly alot to loose this time. Hope you can focus more on the politics, and wake up in three weeks feeling a greater sense of peace, both from the election, and your very personal pain and responsibility. As always, praying for you, the children, JM, Peggy, Brad and families. carolyn laster

Becky said...

Still my favorite Christmas card of all time

Amy said...

UGH! I just watched the debate, and I needed to read your post. It does look grim, but I too am still hoping for the right team (pun intended). I do remember the Christmas care, and I still love it. It was perfect.

Love you lots, Amy

Anonymous said...

When it comes to politics, use the "kiss" acronym- "keep it simple stupid". With the change of one letter, you could go from Obama to Osama- not a good thought in my book. I think McCain is better but not by much so I will be writing in Ross Perot's name. At least he will be able to help balance our budget. See ya

her said...

Steph your mom and I was just
IM-ing about the fact that you and I are alot alike when it comes to politics... Steve went to bed and is sawing logs but I stayed up and now I can't get to sleep... BUT we all know that Jason was right...God hs control of it all. But still I believe my part can make a difference.
We took our girls to the Republican party during the 92 Clinton won election...they were both so very sad. (they both were Bush in their respective high school history classes) I have to say , it was a great intro into the world of politics for them and even today, they are involved and educated to make their vote count.

Before the last debate I prayed all day that john would fight lke he did as a prisoner in Nam...just like I pray that my Buckeyes will win each game..Steve laughs at me and says "do you think God really is interested in a football game?" And my reply "of course He is!"
He just shakes his had an smiles a silly grin. Our guys, they love us just the way we are...silly warts and all!

Go John/Sarah!

Joy, Debi

Laurie in Ca. said...

Sending you Love and Hugs today Stephanie. Praying always that the Lord gives you what you need at the moment that you need it. I am on your "team" too, praying for the best and trusting God with our future. I love you and your sweetest heart.

Love, Laurie in Ca.

KKGrimmer said...

I agree with your political views 100%. I love your Christmas card, as would the rest of my family. I continue to pray for you family and the USA! It's SO good to know we always have God by our side.