Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Still I Will Trust

I just finished spending some time with the Lord and had to share what I read. I am going to write it exactly as I read it so not to miss anything. This comes from Beth Moore's devotional book entitled "Praying God's Word Day by Day." Ashley gave me this book several months back and what a source of encouragement it has been to me.



God has graciously allowed some of my fears to come true so I would discover I would not disintegrate. You, Christ, were despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering. You were like one from whom men hide their faces. You were despised, and we did not esteem You (Isa. 53:30). You know exactly how I feel, Lord. I put my trust in You.



Mighty Redeemer, the cords of death have entangled me; the torrents of destruction have overwhelmed me. The cords of the grave have coiled around me; the snares of death have confronted me (Ps.18:4-5).



Yet even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me (Ps. 23:4).




Without a doubt a huge fear of mine has always been losing someone so very close to me. I would hear of others who were either facing death or had lost a loved one of their own and think that I could not ever handle such tragedy. I always assumed if I had to walk where I am walking that I would simply bury myself in a hole somewhere. Praise God, His grace has been sufficient for me. His love and mere presence has literally carried me day in and day out. Even the darkest of days. It is He that comforts me. Often I find myself longing to talk to other wives who also have small children and have lost a spouse. Someone who knows exactly what I am feeling. I was reminded today after reading this devotional that our Savior knows how I feel and He is that someone. I can't tell you what a source of comfort that is for me during this time.


When I think I'm going under, part the waters, Lord. When I see waves around me, calm the sea. When I cry for help, O hear me, Lord, and hold out your hand. Touch my life, calm the raging storm in me.


He has and He will. Praise God!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dear Stephanie - as hard as your days and nights are, you continue to praise God for his presence in your life, and to inspire us with your conplete faith. I cannot imagine how someone could endure your pain without knowledge of the One who is walking by your side, or carrying you, every step of the way. Thank you so much for sharing. Connecting with you, and with that most interesting Brad, has become an important part of my life. As always, I pray that each and every day brings a little more peace and joy your way. God obviously has some incredible things in store for you. carolyn laster

Becky said...

Isn't it a blessing that not only is He well acquainted with your grief, but we have His word to tell us that!!!!! I was talking about this very subject with my brother last night. It's one thing for God to be there, and that's huge. But for Him to have been so gracious to REVEAL it to us so that we might have peace while here on Earth is joy unspeakable.

Anonymous said...

Stephanie,
I have had Beth's Moore's book Praying God's Word on my night stand for several years after attending a Breaking Free Bible Study at Temple.I have pages 206 & 207 marked as meaningful to me. Some scriptures really spoke to me when I was in my darkest grief after losing my husband and facing life alone.
On that particular night I made this footnote...Help me BELIEVE this when I don't FEEL this (that
you are sovereign and in control
and one day I will have all the answers..until then I will just trust you.
I confess that I am overwhelmed by what has happened in my life, but I am thankful that you have authority over all things. Heaven is your throne and earth is your footstool(Matt 5:35)therefore, anything over my head is under your feet! Amen.
I am praying for you....all the
"first" are still so real to me....the first cool night(the seasons changing still bring back bittersweet memories for me).
The first trip to the grocery
store and automatically going to buy his favorite orange juice and cereal then reality hits big time. Not being able to part with his stuff until the time was right for me.... keeping things that were his brought me comfort ...not pain. Everyone is different about how and when they can let go.I loved to smell his clothes hanging in the closet.
As you so testify to God is mighty and able to walk with us through the grief and rejoice when we can use what we have experienced of His love and faithfulness to help others.
The scripture tells us that we are "to comfort others as we have been comforted" 2 Corinthians 1:4 Continuing to pray for you as
you face each new day.
Jan

Laurie in Ca. said...

Stephanie,

I think of you daily and ask God to continue giving you the strength and hope for each new day in this new journey you and the kids are walking in. He is faithful and will continue to carry you as He promises in His Word. Asking Him to show you His light on the darkest of days and fill you with His peace. I love you and my prayers will continue.

Laurie in Ca.

Anonymous said...

Hi Stephanie,
I pray this week has been better for you and the kids. Continued healing for Anna Lea and well, keys kept close :) (been there, done that with my son).

You continue to encourage me so much. Thank you for sharing your heart. Your faith and strength inspire me to lean on Him, press in, and to walk closer with Him.

Diana
(ps I'm friends of Brenton and Michele Roberts in Texas)