Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Life I Planned

It is January 25, 2009. I decided after we hit the anniversary of Jason's diagnosis that I wasn't going to torture myself by reliving every detail of this time last January. It was a very hard month to have to relive. I made this commitment not to revisit caringbridge, but I crumbled. I found myself drawn there today only to discover it was a year ago yesterday that we learned that Jason did not achieve remission from the first round of chemo. I read my words that I had posted a year ago and found myself pondering all the feelings I was experiencing that day.

Here is what I posted on January 24, 2008:

"Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart: wait, I say on the Lord." Psalm 27:14

We most certainly did not receive the news we were praying for this afternoon. Dr Bellare informed us that Jason still had 60% leukemic cells in his marrow. We started with 100% so we can praise Jesus that the first round did get 40% of those bad cells. He is starting Jason on another round of chemo this afternoon. These drugs are much stronger than what he received in the first round and from what we understand this will last for 4 days. Most AML patients are able to get the leukemia in remission with the 1st round of chemo - usually 80%. Unfortunately, we are in the 20% that have to be reinduced. Our hearts are broken to say the least, but we will press on! We know that the Lord hasn't stepped off of his throne and this set back does not surprise him - AT ALL! We know that God is up to something when HE sends something difficult our way. The Lord has been so faithful to us and I know without a shadow of doubt that he will continue to do so. He is our rock, our fortress, our hope, and our confidence.


"There is nothing, no circumstance, no trouble, no testing that can ever touch me until, first of all, it has come past God and past Christ, right through to me. If it has come that far, it has come with great purpose." Alan Redpath


Lord, may we not miss the great purpose you have for us. Reveal it to us in your perfect time.
Please continue to pray for sweet Jason. What a precious child of God he is and I am so incredibly blessed to be married to him.
We love you all.
Stephanie and Jason


I remember driving to Forrest General that morning prior to getting the biopsy results and as usual I found myself overwhelmed with emotion. During Jason's entire illness and especially at the beginning I tried so hard not to break down around the kids. I tried to always be "up" and positive about Jason's battle with leukemia. At first I remember not even wanting to even say the word leukemia or cancer in their presence for fear of causing them anxiety. I usually saved my "ugly cries" for the car. As I drove into the hospital that morning, I heard the song "Everlasting God". I have posted the words to that song before..."strength will rise as we wait upon the Lord, we will wait upon the Lord...our God, He reigns forever..."
I know that song was just for me that morning and was from the Lord. He was reminding me to wait on Him! Obviously, I didn't know for sure we would get such bad news, but deep down I was preparing myself. Wait, let me re-word that... HE was preparing me for the devastating news that would come that afternoon.

I was in the hall of the hospital going to get Jason some ice when I ran into Dr. Bellare. I remember feeling SO very nervous that entire day and when I saw Dr. Bellare I remember thinking I am going to throw up all over this sweet man! Even my hands were shaking. Remember, I was 8 months pregnant, too. He grabbed my shoulders and began saying, "Stephanie, it's not good, it's not good at all." I began to cry uncontrollably. I am so thankful that I heard this news first without Jason. Dr. Bellare was so kind and reminded me immediately that God was still in control. I got myself together so that I could go with him to tell Jason.

Jason was more than devastated at this news. He said nothing at first, but tears just fell quietly. I remember holding both of his hands tightly and wanting to speak SOMETHING, ANYTHING, but no words could come out. Finally, our dads saved the day! Literally. It wasn't 10 minutes after Dr. Bellare left that Gary and Jon Mark came walking into room 6608. They were both very encouraging and even a few jokes were made to lighten the mood a bit. Brad arrived minutes later thus changing the mood COMPLETELY! :)

As I drove home that night I remember crying out to the Lord in complete anguish. "Why, Lord? Why is this happening to us?" I remember pleading with the Lord that these children and I so desperately needed Jason to be here with us. I remember thinking that I couldn't possibly make it without Jason. I was totally broken and felt so defeated.

When I finally went to bed that night I continued to say over and over again, "wait on the Lord..." It was one of the many nights that I cried myself to sleep. Praise God His mercies are new every morning!

I appreciate you allowing me the opportunity to relive some hard moments. I am not sure if it is helpful for me to do this or not, but for some reason I feel the need to do it.

I have this collection of poems and vignettes by Beth Moore. I have had it for years...you know how I love me some Beth Moore! Anyway, I came across this poem entitled "The Life I Planned". I found it so encouraging and wanted it to share it here. It is a bit lengthy, but stay with me!

Has someone seen the life I planned?
It seems it's been misplaced
I've looked in every corner
It's lost without a trace
I've found one I don't recognize
Things missing that were dear
Promises I'd hope to keep
And dreams I'd dreamed aren't here
Faces I had planned to see
Hands I planned to hold
Now absent in the pictures
Not the way I told
Has someone seen the life I planned?
Did it get thrown away?
God took my hand from searching
Then I heard him say,

"Child, your ears have never heard
Your eyes have never seen
Eternal plans I have for you
Are more than you could dream.
"You long to walk by sight
But I'm teaching eyes to see.
I know what I am doing
'Til then, you must believe."
He's done so much, I felt ashamed
To know He heard my moans
To think I'd trade in all He's done
For plans made on my own.
I wept over His faithfulness
And how He'd proved Himself
How He'd gone beyond my dreams
And said to Him myself,

"No, my ears have never heard
My eyes have never seen
Eternal plans you have for me
Are more than I could dream.
"Yes, I long to walk by sight
But You're teaching eyes to see
You know what You are doing
'Til then, I must believe."
I felt His great compassion
Mercy unrestrained
He let me mourn my losses
And showed me to my gains.
I offered Him my future
And released to Him my past
I traded in my dreams
For a plan He said would last.
I get no glimpse ahead
No certainties at all
Except the presence of the One
Who will not let me fall.
Are you also searching
For a life you planned yourself?
Have you looked in every corner?
Have you checked on every shelf?

Child, your ears have never heard
Your eyes have never seen
Eternal plans He has for you
Are more than you could dream.
Perhaps you long to walk by faith
But He's teaching eyes to see
He knows what He is doing
Child, step out and believe.

"No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind
has conceived what God has prepared
for those that love Him." 1 Corinthians 2:9
I have said this time and time again...this certainly isn't the life I had planned, but my God has been faithful. This whole experience has shaken me to the core and caused me to question His ways, but I will continue to trust in His sovereignty and BELIEVE.

9 comments:

Laurie in Ca. said...

Oh Sweet Stephanie,

This is not the life you planned but I want to thank you so much for sharing the one God has planned for you with us. I hope that your heart felt a little bit stronger revisiting this time last year if for no other realization than to see that you are still standing as you lean on the Lord. This is a journey Stephanie, and your writing it down last year is your reference point. I can only imagine how hard it was to revisit, but I know that the God who held you then is the One who lead you back there today. He still holds you tight, He will NOT let you go. I love you my friend and will continue to walk this journey with you here and in my heart. I am so thankful for you.

Love and Hugs, Laurie

Anonymous said...

rYour strengh, courage, and determination still amaze us all! God is using you and teaching us so much through you. Thank you for your willingness to share and being open to His calling. We continue to pray daily for you and your family. We are here for you. We love you.

her said...

Stephanie...I remember encouraging you to blog...and this is why it is so helpful...to you and to us!

I love poems and have never seen this one by BMoore. I am however encouraged to use this poem in the retreat I am leading come March.

So thank you for posting it.

You are doing great and we continue to pray! How are the kids doing w/you working now?

We all must wait upon the Lord everyday.
Joy, Ms Debi

NIKKI said...

You amaze me with your faith. I will be real honest ..I am not sure I could be near as strong in my faith as you have been! You are quite an amazing woman, mohter and witness to us all!

Anonymous said...

Stephanie - As usual you have touched my heart. That is the most wonderful poem. Thanks for sharing it with us. I can relate.
love, hugs & prayers as always

Janice Gundy said...

Praying for you even now and through the ugly cries revisited. You continue to bring glory to God through your life and sharing.

Thanks! Love you! Janice

taterbugs said...

What an incredible poem. Leave it to good ole Beth. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Stephanie, we have never met. I heard about your web site on Caring Bridge through my Sunday school class at First Baptist Church of Clinton. We were praying for you and your family and I would, from time to time, read what you wrote about on Caring Bridge. This is the first time I have looked at this blog. I just wanted to let you know that I find your words to be very inspiring and I admire the strength you and your family have had throughout this ordeal.

Anonymous said...

Stephanie,

Every time I read your blog, I'm reminded of how very precious life is. How every minute is so special with our loved ones. How fragile life is. I still am so sorry for your loss. I can't thank you enough for sharing your words and heart with us. I wish you would write a book, I would buy one for all the women in my life and we would all appreciate every day God gives us and see true strength and faith.

Continuing to lift you and your little ones up in prayer,
Diana