Thursday, January 1, 2009

Auld Lang Syne

(Scott here. I am ghost writing for Steph today.)

Everyone knows the song we traditionally play on New Year's Eve as a new year dawns, but the song's title is translated into English with different meanings. The one I like today is "days gone by." With young sons, nieces and a nephew, I am learning that time goes so quick you do not need to wish a moment away. But, so long 2008. In many ways, I wish I hardly knew ye.

January 6th, 2008 was the beginning of a tough year for our family. I will never forget the moment. We came in from church and lunch when my mother in law called. She said, "Scott, this is Ms. Melinda. You need to call your parents. They think Jason has leukemia." My world seemed to temporarily stop, but my mind and thoughts roared. Who is they? And, he just had a little fever. Leukemia? The first tear of the year followed soon thereafter, and I shed more in 2008 than probably any other year in my life. They still come, and it is usually at really weird times. Just last week, I was putting up some laundry. I was folding my tshirts, and wham. Lost it. Jason had turned me on to the brand of undershirts I now wear. Then, I found a pair of socks that were his. My mom did Jason and my laundry when we were both at her house, and this pair of socks had made it into my "pile" the Christmas before the ugly l-word. Strange thing to bring such powerful emotions.

Through the heartache and tears, we also experienced joy. In February, God blessed our family with a healthy "Baby Lally." Allyson Laine Weathers - a spitting image of her daddy - was born healthy and whole. God allowed Jason to be healthy enough at the time to be there when she was born. In May, God blessed us with my second son - Anderson Grady Shows. Anna Lea was baptized (she was saved in 2007) and is a child of God assured to see her Daddy again one day.

In 2008, we saw a community come to our aid in such a way that it was overwhelming. A number of people have told us they came to know God or turned back to God in watching Jason and Stephanie glorify Him during their suffering. And, let's not forget that Jason was healed. He's not sick, he's not suffering and he is not facing another battery of treatments. He is completely healed and with his Savior.

In 2008, I found a good friend in Cheeseball - a.k.a. Brad. ReRe got baptized and can now eat the wafers. My dad found facebook. My mom found out she is spry enough to be a mother of three when needed at the young age of 60. Mr. Jon Mark and Ms. Peggy now can visit all their immediate family by going to one street since they live next door to each other now. Ashley got another neice that adores her. Jon Brent found his hitters. (long story, but Caringbridge alumni may remember it.) Anna Lea has her own bedroom and enough Barbies to man a war. Ross got a full set of drums. Anderson and Ally (Chunky Monkeys) have never missed a meal.

God's blessings have accompanied our heartache, and we are aware and most thankful for them. Jason is missed mightily, and I still don't understand why such a good man had to go. But, God has been faithful to this family. It has been and will be tough for Steph and the kids, but we rest assured that God will provide and get them through the darker days when they come.

As you auld lang syne a new year in today, try not to dwell on the "days gone by" but focus on the blessings. The future is a mystery. The past is history. Today is a gift. That's why we call it the present.

We are looking forward to a better year in 2009, but should the valley's present themselves, I pray that all of us can approach them the way J did. His first public words came on January 10th, and this is what he said:

"First of all I want to express my heart-felt thanks for all of your love and support. Your prayers, food, cards, phone calls, visits, and emails have all been blessings to me during this time of uncertainty and confusion. I know my God is great and I know His plan and purpose for my life is perfect. I know this "bend in the road" is a part of that perfect plan. I may never know why, this side of heaven, but I rest assured because He is omnipotent God. All glory be to Him who is above all, knows all, and is all!"

What a man! I will forever be thankful that God blessed me with J as my brother in law.

Please continue to pray for my sister and their children. Your prayers are as coveted on January 1, 2009 as they were on January 6th, 2008. Thank you all for loving my sister. We are forever indebted. God bless.

Scott

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Weathers/Shows Family!

Scott, how beautifully said!
Life certainly is a gift! A very precious one, at that! I just pray that 2009 is a better year for everyone! May God bless you & your family! I'm so grateful to have found "Caringbridge", in the first place! Happy New Year to all, & may God bless us, everyone!
Amen & amen!

By the Grace of God,
Andie Marks

Laurie in Ca. said...

Scott,

Your heart sure comes through in this post. I have been praying for Stephanie, the kids, and both of your families this past year. I am so thankful she has all of you to lean on, (Even BRAD):) My last few posts on my new blog have been about these heartbreaking times in the lives of people I have gotten to know and love. You are welcome to visit anytime and let me know you were there. I love your sister to pieces, though I live in California and have never met her face to face, but heart to heart. I hope this year is kinder in every way to your families as God brings you all through with His grace and love. Jason is loved by so many people and His footsteps are hard to walk in. I want to have his kind of faith and trust.
Please give your sister a huge hug for me okay?
Love and Hugs, Laurie in Ca.

her said...

Oh Scott, I wish you had a blog of your own but I know you are a busy guy down there in Memphis.

You are so right, 08 has been a mixed year for the Weathers/Shows fmily...an now your momma prepping for surgery next week! augh! But Jason knew what we all know, yet he was the one going though this so personnally...God is good all the time and His time and will is forever the best for each of us. Jason always showed that in his faith, his smiles, his love for family and friends. You are right, you had a great brotherinlaw!

Steve and I do pray for your sister and children often. We pray for Jasons parents, Brad,NeNe. ...I count it a privlege to do so!!!! Even thru all of this I became sweet friends of Laurie in CA....pray for others I keep in contact w/on CarringBridge!

God will always bring glory to His name! We love you all so much...so JOY for your tomorrows!

Ms Debi O.

Anonymous said...

Scott,

You will always be my favorite dork. Love ya like a brother( a step-brother with serious mental problems who wets the bed)

BRAD

Amy said...

It's so great to "pop in" here and be able to hear from those that love and care for Steph. Especially when it is one of you two brothers (I'll leave the name calling to you) who are quickly becoming two of my heroes.

Well said, Scott. I just know that 2009 holds great things for Steph and the kids -- well, all of you.

Steph, you know I love you so much. I look forward to hearing from you here soon.

Amy

Anonymous said...

Stephanie,

Scott's letter tonight was incredible. We pray for you daily, our children included. You and your family have become so very precious to us. We wish you blessing upon blessing for 2009. And you will always be in our prayers.

Love to all of you,

Lisa

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Scott, for reminding us all that regardless of how deep the valley is, there is always the mountain top, and for the profound faith that you all have shown us in this last year - always pointing out to us that even in the midst of loss, pain and heartache, there are many, many blessings. May all of you in the Weathers and Shows families experience an overabundance of those blessings in 2009. Love, carolyn laster