Monday, January 12, 2009

Just a quick note

Tonight was one of those nights. You know the ones where the kids don't do a thing you NEED for them to do and everything quickly turns into DRAMA. It didn't help that little sleep took place here in our house last night. I think I slept in 3 different beds and probably would have slept in Ally's bed had it been made for adults! Since I couldn't sleep in her bed, she got in my bed as did Anna Lea AND Jon Brent. At one point there were 4 of us in a full size bed. I said, "ENOUGH!" Someone, EVERYONE is going back to their bed. That didn't last either.

Anyway, back to THIS night. I was feeling very overwhelmed as a mother to these precious children and very inadequate. I was missing Jason terribly and to be TOTALLY honest, I was having another pity party. I was asking myself over and over, "How am I going to raise these children without Jason?" Of course, there were tears. From everyone. Anna Lea was in trouble for not doing what I asked her to do. Jon Brent fell asleep in the car on the way home and when he woke up he was a BEAR! Ally was tired and ready for food and I was exhausted!

And then God showed up! Just like He always does. I sat down at the table for just a second to read my mail in the midst of the chaos. I opened a letter from a name I didn't recognize. It was handwritten on white computer paper. I began to read and immediately I began to cry. So much that I couldn't even read the words.

The letter was from a 75 year old lady, who also lost her husband in her late 30's with 2 children. I was more than intrigued by her words. She started by telling me who she was...the aunt of Mike Madaris. Wow. I have never met this sister in Christ before, but oh how she ministered to my broken heart tonight. Her words were simple yet I could totally relate to what she wrote as she had walked where I am walking even now.

She knew I needed these words at this very moment: "I know it is an overwhelming responsibility to you, but with God's help, you will make it as you live one day at a time. I know how it isn't easy. This has been (and still is) a blessing to me that through our veil of tears, we see in a new light, Him who was 'despised and rejected of men... a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief.' Isaiah 53:3. We become better acquainted with Christ when we experience His teaching, love and sympathy in times of suffering and sorrow. In suffering, Jesus becomes a necessity to us - not just a half-hearted luxury. Through the recognition of our own helplessness, we feel a new strength in His strong arms."

Isn't it amazing how God shows up not a second too late? I don't find it a coincidence that I hadn't already opened this letter. I am not sure if this dear believer in Christ reads blogs or even has email, but thank you, Mrs. Stanford. Thank you for being an encouragement to my weary soul on this January 12, 2009.

11 comments:

Laurie in Ca. said...

Oh Sweet Stephanie,

God has got you "so covered" moment by moment. He does not promise that it is easy, but He promises to never leave you nor forsake you. He loves you so much and is a breath away to help you always. This letter is another example of His covering over you. Keep leaning on him sweet friend, I continue praying for you and the kids. I love you. And what you call a pity party, I call a lonely heart grieving for her love.

Love and Many Hugs, laurie

Anonymous said...

Awww...So cool, don't you think how God reaches across ages, miles, gullies, and rivers to work-even before we know that we need something. What an awesome Father. What an awesome Friend. Thank you Mrs. Stanford for being found faithful.What a blessing...ms g

the beach bum said...

OK, that's it. Next time you head down to Destin, you *must* have a visit with Aunt Frances (lives in Ft. Walton Beach not far from Mom). She is quite an amazing lady. A country girl from the woods of central Alabama & my Dad's youngest sister. She's always smiling & laughing, despite a very difficult life. Recent example: only lately has she been able to return to church after a year of cancer surgery & chemo treatments. She'll love on you and make you laugh. I'm already pondering how *I* can be part of this meeting time. Stay tuned... : )
Aunt Frances was my Mom's college roommate at Bama (before Mom & Dad were married). Her son Gary was my best friend growing up & was my roommate @ Bama. Gary helped me come to know the Lord, helped me meet Lisa, and helped me get back on course with the Lord. Other than that, he's not very important to me...*smile*
Glad you heard from her; isn't God good???
I'm hoping you get this tomorrow after a good night's sleep. Praying to that end.
With love, prayer, and hope,
Mike

Anonymous said...

I'm just in awe at our God. I just finished telling Him that I find it so amazing that I can even talk to the same God who split apart a sea, shut lions' mouths, walked in a fiery furnace with men, and became like us, died on a cross, & now lives again. They aren't just stories for us to read and marvel at our God. They happened for a purpose then, but God thought of us during those times and had a purpose for them now. There was a purpose for Mrs. Stanford facing & living through all she did 40 years ago; and one of them was because she would send you a letter 40 years later at just the right time. What a mighty God we serve! I'm in awe.....
Love you,
Kristen

Anonymous said...

Hi Stephanie, You probably don't remember me, I used to go to Temple Baptist and I also worked with Jason at FGH. I didn't even realize that he had gotten sick. I am sadden by this, but I do rejoice in the fact that he is in heaven. I just wanted to say that I am totally blown away by your gentle spirit. I wish I was as strong as you seem to be. I have just been wallowing in my problems for days and then read your blog, via Mike Madrias link on facebook. You have reminded me of the fact that we are not alone and God is so very good to us. I am humbled by the fact that I am not facing any struggles like you with your children, but you are so much stronger with God as you center. I will be praying for you and your family. Jason was a great and fun guy. God bless, Renee

Anonymous said...

My dear Stephanie - through this wonderful lady, God fulfilled His promise of "strength for the day". Remember that He didn't promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, or sun without rain, but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for our tears, and light for the way. He will forever, in His way and in His time, provide for you and your precious children, as He did with this surprise in your mail. Keeping you all on my heart and in my prayers - love, carolyn laster

her said...

WOW Steph! How glorious! God is to be praised!!!!

ALl of us (who have not experienced this storm of life) can fill you will words of encouragement everyday but nothing means as much as a person who has ALREADY pased thru the storm and can tell you there is another side!

I am thankful for her letter to you! I remember when we firt moved to N Little Rock Ar...I was talking to an elderly lady at church and she told me with tears in her eyes about her dear sweet husband! It had been 25yrs since his death and her tears were as real as the day she was told the news! It made me think about life differently after that.

I am going to pray that your day tomorrow (Thurs) will be filled w/joy and laughter! If anyone deserves it you do sweetie!

Love and Joy, Debi

Amy said...

Hi, Stephanie. You don't know me, but I just want to tell you that you are such an encouragement to those of us who have pity parties that pale in comparison. I reached your blog through Amy's a while back (which makes me one of your closet blog readers), after she told me about your family. I have shed many tears and lifted up many prayers for you and your family. Thank you for allowing the Lord to be exalted in your suffering.

Amy said...

Stephanie, somehow I missed this post. I have been eagerly waiting for a new one, so I don't know how I missed it.

I love how God moves. And, I have observed how Christ has become your very breath -- not a "half-hearted luxury". I thank Him and pray that there will be many more who have walked in your shoes and are on the other side to send their words of encouragement your way. And, one day, it will be you. You'll be using your God-given gift of encouragement along with life's lessons to minister to the heart of someone else walking this hard road.

Thanks for sharing. Love you,

Amy

Jennifer said...

Stephanie, I'm a friend of a friend... of a friend? (your friend Amy's friend Amy Henry is my sister in law). Anyway-- I just wanted to tell you what an inspriation you are to me and I'm sure, so many others. You're faith in God is truly remarkable. Thank you for being so strong and honest and for sharing your story. I'm praying for you and your family. If you're ever in Nashville... let me know! :)

Unknown said...

Stephanie,

Thank you for this sweet post on your blog. God IS taking care of you and He won't stop! Isn't wonderful when we have those moments that show us the TRUTH. I am so glad that you got that sweet card at just the right time!

Kim