Sunday, February 1, 2009

Warning: My entry tonight is going to be jumbled and probably seem like ramble to you...probably most entries seem that way, but please be aware that I recognize my shortcomings tonight. :)

I am listening to a book on CD right now on heaven. Actually, HEAVEN is the book title. The author is Randy Alcorn. I have really enjoyed listening to this book, but I must admit I have been challenged by it in so many ways. I guess in my mind I have thought heaven was a certain way, but obviously my thoughts were not totally based on scripture. Anyway, this isn't what I am going to write about tonight...that must be saved for a night when I am rested up and I have LOTS of time! I do intend to share my thoughts on the book, but that must come at a later date.

There is one point of this book that I'd like to write about for a few minutes. The author of this book believes that those that have gone before us quite possibly are aware of things that are taking place on this earth. He cites a couple of scriptures to back this up...forgive me for not having those handy, but the CD is in my car right this moment and being that it is after 11:00 p.m., I'd rather not venture to my garage to fetch it.

I have always thought those in heaven couldn't see or know what is taking place on earth for that would cause them pain and there can be no pain in heaven. As I began thinking about this possibility I was VERY worried about the thought of Jason being aware of how I was doing dealing with his death. I became overwhelmed with the thought of him seeing me how I was handling certain situations! Ha! (I am not being totally serious here...I doubt there is time in heaven to know EVERY detail of my life right now, but the Lord may be allowing him to know certain things going on in our family.)

I laughed and told some of my friends/family that if Jason is even somewhat aware of my life he is probably saying, "Stephanie, GET IT TOGETHER! Those are my children you are raising!" Part of my daily grief that I struggle with is how inadequate I feel as a mother right now. Jason and I were a team when it came to raising our children. He was VERY involved in every aspect of their life. Because there are 3 of them and only 1 of me, I feel most overwhelmed each day with all of the day to day responsibilities that come along with raising 3 children... ALONE. Most days I go to sleep feeling very disappointed with myself in the way I handled certain situations with the kids. I beat myself up for not spending enough time with each of them individually. I could go on and on here, but you get the point.

So, I decided after learning that he might be aware of how things are going here on earth that I'd better step it up a notch...for Jason. :) I know of all of my shortcomings without Jason, but I think there are certain things he would be proud of and I decided to make a list. I guess I wanted to make this list just to make me feel better. These are in no particular order.

Things Jason would be proud of IF he was privy to what was taking place here on earth:
1. We live next door to Brad and Sherri. He would have loved that SO very much. I know it has to please him that they are so much a part of our daily lives.
2. Scott and Brad have become good friends who text/email each other regularly. Jason loved both of them so much.
3. Anna Lea and Sherri's baptism had to be a HUGE highlight for him. I remember the day they were baptized and remember not wanting the moment to end b/c if Jason was a part of the "cloud of witnesses..." then I was in his presence. Oh, just to be with Jason again.
4. I have stayed by myself in this house on numerous times and I haven't gotten scared! Jason knew what a chicken I was and this my friends is nothing but a GOD thing!
5. His anesthesia degree that I am anxiously awaiting for its arrival in the mail. I have said this before, but Jason worked SO hard in obtaining this degree.
6. I FINALLY ordered his head stone. I agonized over this decision for so long. This sort of thing would have been very important to him. Those that knew Jason well will understand this.
7. Brad hasn't destroyed all of his things...YET!
8. Jon Brent is more OCD than ever before. This is direct trait of Jason.
9. Ally loves to eat! Jason always thought our other 2 didn't eat near enough and he was right.
10. I have a job. Jason knew more than anyone that all I wanted to do when I "grew up" was to be a stay at home mom. He knew that my major in college was really a Mrs. degree. :) Granted my job is very part time, but baby steps, people!
11. Anna Lea tells me everyday that she wants to be like her daddy. She also told her teacher at school that she wanted to be a nurse b/c that is what her daddy did. That has to make his heart smile.
12. I bought a flat screen tv for the den. Jason had a real LOVE for electronics. He wouldn't be proud of the fact that I didn't buy Sony. He was very partial to this brand. Ha.
13. Jon Brent is FINALLY fully potty trained. I hate he missed that one... BIG TIME. Pardon the bathroom humor, but Jon Brent has a new found love for going to the potty outside. Believe it or not, that would make Jason very proud.
14. I am doing an average job in keeping the checkbook...still a work in progress. I LOVED when I got married that someone would handle all money items for me. I think Jason would be proud of how I have handled MOST decisions. Maybe not the amount of $ I spend on children's clothes, but deep down I know he expects it.
15. The children's education fund that was established in his memory would blow his mind.
16. He would be so proud of all the ways peoplehave served our family since his death.
17. Ally looks more like him every day. I pray that continues.
18. My dad has changed numerous diapers. :) Seriously, I know he must be proud of the ways our family has stepped in and helped in making our life somewhat easier.
19. We went to Destin after Christmas. He loved Destin so much. I visited there right after he died and it was so painful, but this trip was different. Lots of happy memories.
20. We are all STANDING! You may remember from caringbridge that Jason and I had a conversation about 2 months before he died about the possibility that he might not beat leukemia. He was so very worried about me and how I would handle being a mom to 3 without him. He was especially worried about the financial aspect of it. He needed not to worry and neither do I b/c God has been SO faithful.

I could write more, but I'll stop for now. How I wish he was here with me now, but I know his joy is now complete because he is with his Savior. Praise God we're one day closer to joining Jason and our Lord forever!

16 comments:

The Metz Family said...

Stephanie-
I think you are an amazing mom! I think every mom in the world stuggles with feeling inadequate at times...we all try to do everything, for everyone...but, you are such a great example for all of us. Your children are so very lucky to have you. I enjoyed visiting with you and getting to hold baby Ally last night...even if she did keep trying to get away! ha!

Laurie in Ca. said...

Sweet Stephanie,

This is a beautiful list and one I know Jason is so proud of too. I am with you here, I don't know what all goes on in heaven but I like to believe that our spirits are still connected somehow. I think you are doing a wonderful job with the kids and I hope you realize that no one does it right all the time. We grow with our kids through the ups and downs of each day. Ditch the guilt sweetie, it serves no purpose. And I don't think you will ever have to worry about Ally not looking like Jason. She is the feminine version of him right now, seriously. I love you girl and continue to pray for you as you walk this journey. Just as the Lord is close in your heart, so is your sweet Jason. Praying for peace and joy for you my sweet friend.

Love and Many Hugs, Laurie

T. Ann said...

Stephanie -
I have also just finished this book & had to write...
You don't know me, but God has allowed me to find you & your precious family online.

My S.S. teacher, Kaye James, after losing her Mom, has recommended this to the class.
(Thank you Kaye)
It's the most amazing peek at heaven and I'll never be or think the same again. My world turned upside down when I lost my Dad in my arms from heart failure a couple of years back, and this book has been like my Dad holding me square by the shoulders and speaking directly to me to get my act together. He was loved by many & I miss him so!

I'm not a blogger- - - just read them & have been following your amazing journey with our Lord. You are touching many lives including mine.

Heavenly Bound!
T Ann

Anonymous said...

Uh #4; you need to at least admit that you have heard things at your house and left the door open and thought someone was breaking in; but so far so good;

Love y'all

Carly Winborne said...

I think this is my most favorite post ever! I'm so proud of that "silver lining" you're thinking on! I even sense a sweet joy that is slowly creeping into your writing. I love it!!!

Seriously, you continue to amaze me. You always have and always will.

Love,
Carly

Stephanie said...

Stephanie,

You are such a great mom...I loved your list! I totally agree with one of the other comments - drop the guilt, girl! You are doing a fantastic job with your kids...remember - one day at a time, one step at a time.

I did a devotional a few weeks back in the book "Streams in the Desert"...do you have that one? I can't think of the verse right now (like you, it is in the car and not accessible at the moment). But anyway, it talked about "grace for the moment". The author pointed out that God did not promise to open a blindingly clear path in front of us...but instead, he promised to provide us with the grace and strength to face this moment...the moment we are in right now...we just have to ask for it...and leave tomorrow to Him.

You are doing a great job with your kids - you are giving them your love and care, and allowing others around y'all to minister to all of you as the Lord calls. I am sorry I never had a chance to meet Jason...and I hope to have the chance to get reacquainted with you...your family has an amazing testimony.

Love ya,

Stephanie Jackson Rogers

Anonymous said...

Let's be honest, here, shall we? I know for a fact that Jason was well aware of the jackpot he landed when he married you. Yes, there were many times where he'd close his eyes, shake his head, and softly say in his own way "Stephanie", but those were not the majority of the time.

If Jason can witness what all has happened in his absence, I know he's got a smile on his face and praising Him who is right in front of him. Can you imagine? I got chills just thinking that. That Jason sees you & the kids and then turns around and kneels before His Lord, giving Him the glory & praise He is due. That's sweetness, Steph. God is so very good!
Love you & thanks for sharing,
Kristen

Jennifer said...

What a wonderful thing to think about... what Jason would be proud of you for. I know he is probably so much more proud than you can imagine! I'm praying for you.... :)

Anonymous said...

I, like yu and some others, have felt and experienced some similar things.You are just experiencing LIFE and you are doing a darn good job everything God has handed to you.I just hope I handle things with the grace, courage and love that you do. Love you girl.

Lori said...

That is a wonderful list. I only know your family through caringbridge, but I think Jason would be proud of you.

Lori
http://amireallygoingtoblog.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Stephanie- I know you think that your struggle is slow, and maybe it is- I haven't been there...but I can't begin to imagine the number of people who DO understand. Your blog is incredibly encouraging, and is an amazing witness to people about the power of God in terrible times. Keep going, Stephanie. You are doing great, and Jason would be so proud.
Christy

Anonymous said...

Stephanie, when I got this devotional on my computer today, I thought about your most recent post, so I have copied and pasted it below. I want to tell you that you are the most incredible young woman I have ever known, and that this world is truly a better place, and many of our lives are better, because of you. That is certainly no doubt at all that Jason is smiling down Big Time at the manner in which you are handling these dark days, and the tender loving care you are pouring out upon your precious children. Keep up the good work, and continue to lean on Those Everlasting Arms. Thank you for continuing to bless my life with your "therapy sessions". Praying, always, for all of you. Carolyn Laster

What we don't do

February 3, 2009

Psalm 62: One thing God has spoken, two things have I heard: that you, O God, are strong, and that you, O Lord, are loving.

At the end of the movie Chocolat, a small town comes out of a time of conflict just in time for Easter. The young priest tells his congregation that morning, "We can't go around measuring our goodness by what we don't do."

In this world, trying to find God--and to carry the presence of God--becomes exhausting when we focus on "what we don't do," on all of the actions we need to forgo in order to avoid punishment. The stories of the Old Testament often portray God in a way that necessitated that stance, as God was seen as wrathful, punishing. So too often we want to adopt a judgmental stance in God's name.

But with the coming of Christ, we human beings received the gift of a loving example, a way of measuring our goodness by what we do rather than by what we don't do. We find in God's strength not wrath, but compassion. God speaks, and if we listen closely instead of letting our own judgmental noise interfere, we hear of a God who tenderly cares for us, and asks us to tenderly care for each other.

God incarnate modeled divine behavior for us, behavior described by active verbs: forgive, embrace, encourage, heal. God asks us to leave our personal deities of judgment in the past.

Then we can stop measuring our goodness by what we don't do.

Anonymous said...

Stephanie,

I think all momas feel that way on most days. Always second guessing our decisions, could we have handled situations differently. I have a sophmore(20yrs) in a community college and we're applying to universites for the fall(will he get in? will he go to the right school? will he starve without my cooking? I can't believe i'm going to send my baby off to school somewhere.) Then, theres my first grader(7yr., my other baby), he's learning spelling, math and reading(will he be reading 60 words/minute by end of school? will he get past his 4's in math? and what will he do without his big brother next fall?) AAAHHH!!! my worries. Thankfully, God provides grace and strength in the moments. He exchanges peace for my worries. I try to lay my toubles and worries on the altar and let him carry them.(sometimes thats easier said than done).

I do believe Jason would be so, very, very proud of you, and the Lord too. I'm sure they both have added way more to your list. You have taught me so much about strength, faith, and the Lord's grace, for that I thank you!

Diana

Anonymous said...

Stephanie,

It's been a while...but I've been here for well over an hour tonight, catching up to where I left off - I won't tell you how far behind I was...

You are such an encouragment to me - always pressing in and pressing on! I haven't been where you are - exactly that is - but my walk has taken me close in similarity many times. Too much to explain here... Keep letting the light and love of Jesus flow through you - you are a blessing. : ) Michele

www.caringbridge.org/visit/brentonroberts

Heather said...

i'm a day late and a dollar short, as usual. can i subscribe to this blog?? i need a reminder when you have a new post. is that too much to ask?

#20 is my favorite...you are still standing. love your list but i can think of 100 additional things that would make J proud. steph, you have come so far since july. stand tall and pat yourself on the back. love, hb

Lori said...

I nominate you for the gratitude award.

This award is for those who show GREAT ATTITUDE and/or GRATITUDE! if you are given the award, then put the logo on your blog or post. next, nominate at least 5-10 blogs which show GREAT ATTITUDE and/or GRATITUDE! be sure to link to your nominees within your post. let them know that they have received this award by commenting on their blog. share the love and link to this post and to the person from whom you received your award.