Saturday, January 17, 2009

God is Still Working

I thought I'd take a minute and fill you in on all the ways God is still working in my life right now.

Wolford College in Naples, where Jason was pursuing his nurse anesthetist degree informed my brother last week that they would be granting Jason's posthumous degree in anesthesia. Jason was so close to graduation when he was diagnosed with leukemia. This was ONE of the many disappointing things about his diagnosis and the timing of it all. A little background information...Jason graduated in 1997 with a degree in biology in hopes of going to dental school. He applied for 3 years and got very close, but was never accepted. We were so disappointed, but knew God must have had something else in store for him. Anyway, after much prayer he felt led to nursing school. He finished nursing school in 2004. He knew while in nursing school that his long term goal would be to attend anesthesia school. He worked 2 years in ICU gaining the critical care experience he needed before he was accepted into Wolford. Whew! (doesn't that make you tired?) Anyway, basically since Jason and I married he was working to get to this point and then BANG leukemia. SO close yet SO far away! Obviously, Jason will not reap the benefits of this degree, but I am so proud that Wolford chose to remember him in this way by granting this degree. He had worked so very hard for this. So many times since his passing I have cried out to the Lord asking WHY He didn't just let him get his anesthesia degree before getting leukemia. The whole time I am sure God was thinking, "Stephanie, rest and be patient, I am still working." And He did. Wow, how I hope the Lord has shared this with Jason!

Next bit of news from our home is that I will be starting a part time job on Tuesday. I am going to be working as a tutor at Anna Lea's school 3 mornings a week. I have known for a while that I needed to do something, but the thought of work just literally would make my head spin and my stomach turn. I have been praying fervently something would just fall into my lap. Yet again, God has been faithful. Going back to work is very overwhelming to me, but I am trusting that the Lord will make this an easy transition. I am going to be surrounded by some incredible people at the school and for that I am so thankful.

Now for another way that God is working...

While in Destin, Sherri and I got to talking to a couple, who was standing near us. (Sherri and I both have the gift of gab and talking comes very EASY to us both!) Anyway, we mentioned the reason that we were in Destin after Christmas was because we were trying to make the holidays a little easier because we had experienced the passing of my husband and her brother in law over the last year. They were intrigued and began to ask questions. I began to share with them of Jason's leukemia. I noticed immediately when I said leukemia that the guys eyes got large. He then proceeds to tell me that his brother had also died of leukemia a year and a half ago. He was also 33 when he died, had a wife and 2 very young children. Wait, the world gets smaller. We then discover that some of his relatives are members at our church here in Hattiesburg! Anyway, I wanted to know about his sister in law. Long story short...this precious sister in Christ and I have since gotten in touch with each other through email. I am very much looking forward to speaking with her more and possibly even meeting face to face. We have so much in common and I am so thankful to know she is dealing with some of the same things I am dealing with on a daily basis. Friends, ONLY God could orchestrate this meeting in Destin, FL! I still stand in awe of how He works. Please pray for my new friend, Melissa and her 2 young children. She, too, is having to walk down a very dark path. She is a strong believer and like me is clinging very tightly to our Lord right now.

My God continues to amaze me. I pray I never get over how He works!

6 comments:

Laurie in Ca. said...

Sweet Stephanie,

You will never get over being amazed at how our Lord works. He carries you and your kids daily and never leaves you for a moment. What a blessing for Jason's degree. He sure earned it. And the job, I think it will be a real blessing to your days. And of course, the new "sister" the Lord has given you to walk with, pure blessing. These might not be the kind of blessings that most look forward to receiving, but they were divinely prepared by Him for you. He is bringing you through my sweet friend, moment by moment. There is no coincidence with God. I love you and continue praying for you all.

Love and Hugs, Laurie

NIKKI said...

I still pray for you daily -- and now will pray for your new friend Melissa.

Anna Lee is going to love you working at her school! HOw fun to have mom there!

Anonymous said...

i know the mail is not running today, so check your mail anyway...i'm putting that gift in there that i told you about :-)
l gonce

her said...

Praise the Lord oh my soul, and all that is wthin me praise His holy name!!!!!!!

I am sure J knows what God has done! How awesome that God gave you that gift! How awesome God gave your children that gift also!

True, it is just a piece of paper that can no longer produce an income that Jason worked so hard and long to give his famly....but that piece of paper is another visible way that God is showing you of His wonderful watchful eyes over you!!!!
Now, I have goosebumps!

A new friend who actually knows what you are experiencing---GREAT!
I hope you get together soon for coffee as all the kids are playing underfoot.

Your momma told me about the job...how did it go today? This may be exactally what the Lord has ordered for you-Steph.

As Laurie says, I continue to pray for you and the kids. BTW, Laurie is my new sister in the Lord. And we met b/c of your blogging!

Joy, Ms.Debi

Stephanie said...

What a inspiration your blog has been to me! I recently stumbled upon it. I was immediately drawn into your story. It is a blessing to hear you praise God even through the difficult storms. It makes me realize what is important. I went back and read all your entries and shed tears for you. You will be in my prayers! I would like to link to your blog in a post. Please let me know if that is not ok.
Your sister in Christ,
Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Dear Stephanie - I know that you know as well as I that the "happenstance" meeting in Destin was certainly not happenstance, for our God is forever at work. I thought of you when I read the following devotional I received today, and how you have ALWAYS remained true to your faith, even in the darkest of hours - always reminding us of the Source of your strength. He will never let you down, and continues to remind you, as with that meeting in Destin, with the news of Jason's most deserved degree, in your new job - all theses things are the gifts and rewards of your faithful service to Him in these most difficult days of your young life. I continue to lift you and your children, JM & Peggy, Brad and all of your extended family, in prayer many times each day. May you rest in the knowledge that He will continue to carry you. Much love, carolyn laster

Icebreakers
January 23, 2009

Mark 4:35-41: A furious squall came up, and the waves broke over the boat. . .[Jesus] got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, "Quiet! Be still!" Then the wind died down and it was completely calm. He said to his disciples, "Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?"

After weeks of bone-chilling cold, snow, and ice, the world here seems frozen solid. The weather has been so cold for so long that there were even tracks from a vehicle of some kind in the snow covering a local lake. I tried to imagine the confidence it would take to venture onto an icy lake and trust that the ice would hold.

I am also astonished at the unshakable faith in God that others show. Such people trust God so much that they confidently venture into places I would never consider exploring. I long for that solid faith. I long to be free of the fears that so often plague me. But many times in my life, relationships have cracked beneath me and let me down. Many times, I have faltered and let others down. So my ability to trust God's perfect love has been undermined by repeated experiences of imperfect human love.

So, like the disciples, I am very often scared by the storm, whining in fear instead of resting in the knowledge that Jesus remains with me always. Sometimes, I am still afraid, and sometimes I still have no faith. I would love to have enough faith to walk out on that ice.

But what if it doesn't hold?