Monday, January 5, 2009

I Will Remember

Wow. Seems like so long ago that I attended therapy with you nice people! Christmas came and went and overall it was good. Praise God, we made it through! Christmas Eve seemed to be harder than the 25th. I am not sure why, but I thought I was going to suffocate that day. The pain was unbearable at times. I guess Christmas day was just super busy. We left the day after Christmas heading to Destin with Jon Mark and Peggy, Brad, Sherri and Bailey. It was absolutely crazy trying to leave the day after Christmas, but it certainly helped to go out of town. The kids had a great time as did I. Melinda, Ashley, Ross, Anderson, Daniel and Haley also came to Destin and that was fun to get to hang out with them some. The kids all have battled some sort of illness the entire holiday so our 'hanging' out time was limited. All in all, I have to say my God was SO faithful to get me through the holiday season. Each and every time I felt completely overwhelmed He provided me His peace. I stand in awe of Him each and every day.

I must admit I was very ready to say goodbye to 2008. It was a year ago this week that our journey began. I'll never forget the night before Jason heard the words, "you might have leukemia...you need to see an oncologist immediately." That night I did battle. Battle with the Lord and Satan. I might freak some of you out at this point, but spiritual warfare is very real. It was very real in my room at my parents house January 5, 2008. Let me back up a little and provide some background information...

The week before Jason's diagnosis, he ran a fever consistently. He had seen a family physician in Naples at the beginning of the fever and this doctor prescribed him an antibiotic. After 3 days on the antibiotic he continued to run a high fever. I insisted he find an after hours clinic in Naples on that Sunday so that blood work could be done. Why did I insist on this? I have NO idea. It is like the Lord was gently preparing me for what was to come. Those several days before he went for blood work, I just knew he had leukemia. I have NO idea where I got that from, but I even shared my feelings with some friends and family and they all thought I was crazy. I just knew...

Now back to the night of January 5 (night before blood work was performed at an after hours clinic). I tried to sleep to no avail. All night long I cried as I literally heard in one ear..."Stephanie, a God that loves you would NEVER allow your husband to have leukemia. I mean, you are 7 months pregnant and ya'll are so close to him graduating from anesthesia school." Oh, how it grieved me so to hear these words. In the other ear I heard God saying, "Stephanie, I love you with an everlasting love. Do you trust me? Trust me, Stephanie. I will never leave nor forsake you." At 5:00 a.m. I finally said to God, "your will, Lord."

It was a little over 5 hours later that I took a phone call during church from Jason. He was crying. I knew. Even before he said a word. "Stephanie, he said I could have leukemia..." Oh, how my heart was shattered in a million pieces. And there he was 13 hours away from me. He was all alone and I couldn't get to him fast enough.

Then the journey began. We flew him back to Hattiesburg the very next day to be seen by our favorite oncologist, Dr. Bellare. When Jason walked in his parents house that afternoon he was white as a ghost. No color whatsoever. I believe he was very close to death that day, but that's for another day.

I remember sitting in Dr. Bellare's office like it was yesterday. I remember Jason was shaking with chills as he was running a fever even then. I remember Dr. Bellare thoroughly examining Jason and all the while me praying that this was just some fluke and that as soon as he finished examining him he would tell us he had mono or something. I remember Dr. Bellare leaving the room to go and look at his blood work through a slide. My good friend Heather Berke, who is a doctor, prepared me that he would do this. I remember as we waited Jason and I chatted, but who knows what we talked about. I held his hand and played with his fingers. Even they were ghostly pale.

The door opened and I could see it in Dr. Bellare's eyes. He sat down and held both of our hands. He began to say something to the effect of..."I have just prayed and asked the Lord to give me wisdom in how to tell you two special kids this horrible news." My heart sunk and I remember feeling very nauseous. I held Jason's hand tighter. And then the official word. "Jason, it appears you have acute myelogenous leukemia. I am pretty confident of this, but will need to do a biopsy to be certain." Acute what? For days I couldn't even pronounce myelogenous and remember being so thankful to hear that it was also called acute myeloid leukemia. I could pronounce that. Maybe. Anyway, Dr. Bellare told us we must go straight to Forrest General to be admitted. I started to cry as did Jason. He shared 2 verses of scripture and then prayed with us.

I have never been so afraid in all of my life than I was on that day. I remember calling my parents and then Jason's parents. All I could say was, "it is leukemia and we're headed to the hospital." I began to send text messages to friends begging them to start praying immediately. Soon after that my phone was being bombarded with text messages from friends and strangers telling me they were praying and even providing God's word for me to cling to...and boy did I cling to those promises! You see, this is just one of the MANY ways that in our darkest hour the Lord showed up. His faithfulness to us had just began. There is so much more I could share, but for now I'll stop.

This past Sunday a.m. our praise team at church sang a song entitled, "We Will Remember." So much of 2008 is SO incredibly painful to remember, but as I listened to them sing about remembering God's faithfulness, it hit me like a ton of bricks. He has been SO incredibly faithful to me even in the hardest times and as much as I'd like to forget 2008, I can't because I must share with others of His faithfulness.

Read below the words of the song and for those of you that walked the entire journey with us, be amazed at how fitting this song is for us...

We Will Remember, by Tommy Walker

We will remember, we will remember
We will remember the works of Your hands
We will stop and give you praise
For great is Thy faithfulness

You’re our creator, our life sustainer
Deliverer, our comfort, our joy throughout the ages
You’ve been our shelter
Our peace in the midst of the storm

With signs and wonders You’ve shown Your power
With precious blood You showed us Your grace
You’ve been our helper, our liberator
The giver of life with no end

When we walk through life’s darkest valleys
We will look back at all You have done
And we will shout, our God is good
And He is the faithful One

Hallelujah, hallelujah
To the one from whom all blessings flow
Hallelujah, hallelujah
To the one whose glory has been shown

I still remember the day You saved me
The day I heard You call out my name
You said You loved me and would never leave me
And I’ve never been the same

We will remember, we will remember
We will remember the works of Your hands
We will stop and give you praise
For great is Thy faithfulness

So even in the blog world, I will SHOUT, our God is good and He is the faithful one!

Friends, I ask that you continue to pray for me in the coming days. These days are tough to walk through, but I know I'll get to the other side. He hasn't let me down yet!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, my sweet friend....I do remember.....I remember the early days of fear and uncertainty, but mostly I remember watching in awe as the two of you put your future in God's hands. I am so very proud of you for never giving in to your fears, but for always keeping your eyes on the ONE that will walk you through this journey EVERY STEP OF THE WAY....Hang in there and as I have promised so many times before, brighter days are coming....If I can ever help in any way, I am always only a phone call away!
Love you much.... Brenda

Baroni Family said...

Stephanie, you continue to amaze me by your strength and faith. It would be so easy to remember these "anniversary days" in a negative light, but you are so quick to give God all the glory, even now. Thank you for being such an inspiration and a Godly example for all of us. You are in mine and Eric's prayers almost constantly. Please know that you and your family are being prayed for and loved halfway across the world! Whitney Baroni

Amy said...

Wow, Steph. Thanks for being so honest in sharing your memories. What a year! I pray great things for 2009, and I'll be praying especially hard this week as you move through tough memories of a not so great anniversary.

I love you much. Good to hear from you again.

Amy

Laurie in Ca. said...

Hi Sweetie,

I just read your email from 1-15-07 telling me of Jason's diagnosis. (Yes I keep all of my important emails). I remember thinking, Oh Lord, how is she going to get through this with a new baby on the way and her Jason so sick? I prayed for a miracle healing, you know I did. I told God how He could turn it all around and work it for His Good. I walked your journey with you and prayed for you. God showed me how He was going to work it out, His Perfect Plan, and He is still doing it. Not my plan, but His. I have seen the miracle of Him bringing you through this darkest of times, holding you up gently, carrying you through, keeping your hope alive. And I am humbled by your faith in Him Steph, truly humbled. And I do understand the Spiritual Warfare you speak of here; oh yes it is real and I have witnessed it many times in my life.
The Lord was so faithful in preparing you for battle even though the battle had yet to begin. I am learning to trust Him at a deeper level in my life by walking this journey with you. It is so obvious we can trust Him, yet so hard at times to truly believe this. This song you posted is so true. I continue to pray for you and the kids to get through with His help, day by day, moment by moment. I love you so much Steph, and will continue walking this road with you, encouraging you as I learn from you. You are like a daughter to me and you are family. Praying sunshine and joy in your heart today.

Love and Many Hugs, Laurie

Unknown said...

Stephanie,

I appreciate everything you shared! My kids and I were doing a little Sunday School lesson at home (since they can't go to church right now with Will be sooo susceptible). The memory verse was "Noah walked with God." Genesis 6:7. When I asked Mary later what the memory verse was she, being 3 years old, said, "God walked with Moses." How true and how special--I truly do feel like sometimes children have a better grasp on things and I felt like I got a message from God. He appreciates us walking with Him but, most importantly, He is walking with us. Keep remembering His walk with you because it will get you through. . .

Love,

Kim

Anonymous said...

I'm with Amy. Let's celebrate my birthday closer to the end of the month, shall we? I'll check with Mercy on availability & we can head back to Destin.

I love you and am praying for you daily. Usually around 5:30am and then several times off & on throughout the day. Just in case you needed to know the details. ;)

Kristen

Kara said...

Stephanie,

You have been on my heart for several days now, and I continue to lift you and your precious family up in prayer. I went to RefresHer this morning and the statement was made by our speaker, "Everything that draws us closer to God is a blessing." - and again, you came right to mind! Not many people would call what you went through with Jason a blessing...but you have shown such strength and faith through it that how could anyone not?

You are such an encouragement to me. While I haven't faced anything like what you've been through, I have faced some pretty tough trials this year, and when satan would try to drag me down and defeat me, God would gently lead me to your blog and I would find encouragement for another day! You are such a blessing and I am blessed to have the opportunity to call you friend! :)

Thank you so much for your transparency and willingness to give God all the glory! :)

God bless!
Kara

Heather said...

Stephanie, your strength & courage is so evident. I have read many of your posts with tears in my eyes knowing that God is with you every step of the way. Hang in there. You have many friends that are thinking of you & praying for you & your family.

Many hugs & good wishes!

Christy said...

Oh, Steph! Had an early morning today - like 4:30. Started praying for you. I thought of you yesterday when they sang that song and cried remembering His faithfulness and yours. So many of us are continuing to pray for you and your family. Love you!
Christy

Carly Winborne said...

you are in my prayers. today and everyday. i think about you constantly!

Anonymous said...

Stephanie, your honesty & openness in your last entry were very touching. The night before Jason learned about the possibility of leukemia, I firmly believe without hestitation that God was preparing you for the diganosis. I've had something similar happen in my life 3 times--every time preparing me for a life-changing event. And, in every instance, I am as positive that the message was from God as though He had spoken it aloud to me. I'll tell you briefly about one.

The Christmas before my Daddy died, we were handing out family gifts at my parents' home. Daddy went to the tree to get his gift(we draw names), and he looked around at me & said, "I can't find my present!" My heart gripped with fear as I heard, "This will be your Daddy's last Christmas!" I felt literally sick to my stomach. I went to the tree & helped Daddy locate his gift. He was diagnosed with cancer on February 16th--I was not surprised, and I was equally sure he wouldn't survive the disease. I think God, in His love & mercy for His children, will frequently prepare us ahead for a road we are going to have to travel. I know He's done it with me 3 times, and eveything came to pass that He revealed to me. I know some people may doubt that such things happen, but if it's happened to you, you just KNOW it was from God.

Stephanie, I hope you have a better year in 2009. Always remember when you get down that a lot of people are still praying for you all the time. I thought of you often during Christmas & prayed you & your children were having a good holiday. I know it was hard for you!

Praying for you always,

Janice Martin

Anonymous said...

Stephanie,
2008 is done. However, the memories remain. Memories of God's goodnes and faithfulness. Memories of sweet moments to be cherished for a lifetime. Memories of a wonderful birth with Jason there. Memories of friends who never stopped loving,believing or praying. Memories of a church that was what a church should be. Cling to God's promises and these cherished memories for those tough days. Each day, no matter what comes, in a gift from God. You have used those most difficult days for His Glory. Now use the days ahead with His Strengh to continue on and to find good memories that are wedged among the really painful ones.
Know you and the kids are prayed over daily. And yes, if you need anything, I'm here.
Cathy

Heather said...

i just left you a message on FB before i read this. i knew i should have come here first. my thoughts would have been way more cohesive.

in awe right now that you spoke specifically about the timeframe that has been etched in my mind the past week. i remember you and jason sitting in the exam room where minutes turned to eternity (believe me, i can empathize) and you and i were texting back and forth. most of the conversation was filled with fear but there were a few light-hearted moments. when dr. bellare went to look at the cells under the microscope, you called me and i talked to jason and told him he wasn't invited to the cancer club because our membership had runneth over. we all laughed for a moment and literally minutes later your world came crashing down. i mention this because i know you probably don't remember little things like that amidst a cancer diagnosis but just had to remind you that there WAS laughter even on THAT day and there will be joy and laughter again.

the Lord has never left you or forsaken you (not one time) in the last year and He never will....that's what keeps me pressing on and i know it gives you comfort too.

love you dear friend,
heather

p.s. have a twinge of guilt that christmas eve might have been so emotional for you due to the lack of sleep from the night before since merr and i were perched on your couch til 2 a.m. chatting about life...sorry, please forgive us :)

Laurie in Ca. said...

Hi Steph,

Just stopping in this afternoon to let you know I love you and have been thinking about you all week. Praying for you and the kids to be blessed. I love you girl.

Love and Hugs, Laurie

her said...

Oh Steph....my heart continues to cry at times for your pain and sadness, but I also can rejoice w/you over how God has held you up through the toughest of times. How something like this should not have happened but God's will is perfect, and you knew that every step of the way.
Honestly this says alot about how you were raised by some godly parents (ones Steve and I proudly call FRIENDS)

May joy seep into every day of your 2009 and give you light for the day! We love you sweetie!

Ms Debi

Anonymous said...

Steph:

Just a note to assure you that I still keep up with each post, and never doubt our continued prayers for you and yours.

Now,let me leave you with a couple of quotes from Gloria Gaither. The more I learn about her, the more I am impressed with her. Gloria says "Only at birth and death do we get real about life." Then, she is also quoted as saying, "I think Heaven will include all the seasons: Spring blossoms, Summer fruit, Fall harvest and Winter rest
all going on simultaneously."

Hug your Dad & Mom and the kids for me, and remember that I give Big Hugs (Big Ole Grin).

See You At "The House",

Uncle D