Saturday, February 28, 2009

February 28, 1998

February 28, 1998

2.28.98 - A date I will forever cherish. Just thinking about the day makes me smile, but at the same time it also brings great sadness. I never imagined I'd be spending our 11 year anniversary alone. Jason and I started dating our junior year in high school. I knew immediately after we started dating that this was the man God wanted me to marry. Oh, how thankful I am that God chose ME to be the wife of Jon Jason Weathers. I will never get over that blessing.

Out of all the firsts without Jason, this has been the toughest. Part of me wanted to block out this day yet I couldn't do it. You see, February 28, 1998, was the happiest day of my life. It was all I prayed and dreamed it would be and so much more. Jason and I wanted our wedding ceremony to be a time of worship and to only glorify our Savior. We wanted every song sang and every word said to be God honoring. I believe that was accomplished.
I remember as I stood in the back of the church awaiting the appropriate time for me to enter the worship center, I truly worshipped as Brett and Alesia Valentine sang "You Are Awesome in this Place." I was totally overwhelmed with His presence at that very moment. As I walked down the aisle and I saw ALL the many people who came to share in this time of commitment to our Lord and each other, I became even more emotional. I held tightly to my dad's arm yet could not wait to get to the alter so that I could take Jason's hand.

Jason joined me with being somewhat emotional on this day. As we said our vows, we both cried tears of joy in that God had brought us together. "In sickness and in health, until death does us part..." Wow. I thought "sickness" was referring to the common cold, the flu, stomach virus, etc. I thought the major sickness might possibly come in our 70s or even later. Leukemia? Never crossed my mind on 2.28.98. Death? Obviously, I never dreamed death would come at 33. I just knew we would grow old together and celebrate this day for MANY years.

As we left the church after my dad had pronounced us, Mr. and Mrs. Jason Weathers, we were both ecstatic. I remember as we drove to the reception we both kept looking at our hands and saying to each other, "I can't believe we are married!" Of course, then we were saying, "did you see...?" "Can you believe ... came?" It was so exciting for us to be at our reception and have so many come in support of our big day. So many that came had a profound impact on who we were in Christ. So many of these same people walked with us through the most difficult days of our life and marriage while Jason battled leukemia.

An ironic part of our day was that one of Jason's groomsmen and great friend, Stephen Hatten, was battling leukemia himself at the time. He had been so very sick and prior to our wedding had gone through a bone marrow transplant. His mom reminded me not long ago of his determination to be in our wedding. He was weak and frail, but he made it. Stephen met Jesus face to face less than 3 months after we married due to a relapse of his leukemia. Even in my pain today, I rejoice in knowing that Jason and Stephen are worshipping our Savior together right now...live and in person!

I opened a devotion book today that I do on occasion and this was the verse:

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen. Ephesians 3:20-22

This verse just so happened to be one of the verses that Jason and I had chosen for our wedding program. Coincidence? I think not. Here is what followed the scripture:

"Instead of raging against the Lord for the way He manages our lives, let us carefully consider all the benefits He bestows. Take a piece of paper; sit down alone in a quiet spot; write down one by one all the good things - the delights and the pleasures He has made possible for you. List everything - the sound of music, the laughter of children; the sunrise/sunset, the scent of a rose, the clasp of a friend's hand, the loyalty of a dog. If one is honest, there is no end to the list." (Phillip Keller)

Hmmm... a word from the Lord? Absolutely! Yes, our Lord chose to take my Jason home at 33, and I certainly don't pretend to understand His ways. Even still He gives me many things to be thankful for...at the top of my list are the 3 little Jason's that sleep soundly right now. 2.28.98...I never dreamed then I'd be the mom to these precious children. Thank you, Jesus! May I be found faithful to our Lord as I parent them without Jason! So, as I close this 2.28.09, I am very mindful of the great love our Lord has for me...even in my grief. He is faithful. I say this over and over...His grace is ALWAYS sufficient. Today is no exception. "...to him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus for all generations, for ever and ever!"

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you put up the pictures. I told Clay last night that I hoped you would, but that I knew it would be hard to do. I'm sorry that yesterday was the hardest day for you so far. I guess the general holidays are special days that the whole world has to share, but Feb.28th is specifically your & Jason's day.

I remember so much from that day & weekend. (The facebook stuff was just a joke people.) The best thing from that day was how much you & Jason radiated God's love & glory. It was a powerful ceremony. You & Jason weren't the only ones who were crying. I think all your friends were. It's an awesome thing to see God's love & faithfulness displayed in His children. It was evident then, as it is even now. Keep radiating God's love & faithfulness. He is worthy of all praise. I'll be thinking of you as I head to worship today. I will be thinking of you & Jason and that fantastic day 11 years ago.

Sorry if I rambled. I tend to do that when all I really want to do is give you a giant hug. I love you!!!!

Kristen

Lori said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful photos. We are facing Cameron's birthday in the next few days, so I understand these bitter-sweet days. A time to celebrate our loved one's life and love, missingly them deeply but relieved that they are no longer suffering in this world. My prayers remain with your family.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post....loved seeing the pictures....I remember the excitement at Temple over your wedding....it was right after Hannah was born and we were in a worldwind of our own, but I remember everyone talking about how sweet the ceremony was and how beautiful the bride was....what special memories of an incredible day....just take that knife and put another notch on your "stick"...you're inspiring us all and no doubt, making God and Jason smile with the way you continue to look UP as you get through these tough milestones...ONE DAY AT A TIME>>>>Love you girl and I am oh so very proud of you....Hang in there!!!! Brenda

Laurie in Ca. said...

Such beautiful memories of a most precious and beautiful day Stephanie. You both radiate Gods love and excitement in your new lives together. My heart is heavy for you facing this first anniversary without him. May God continue to be your Rock, gently bringing you through moment by moment. I love you tons and think of you and the kids so often. Praying for you my sweet friend.

Love and Hugs, Laurie

Anonymous said...

I woke up this morning to 8 inches of snow. When Ashley and the boys are here, there is pleasure in seeing the snow and playing in it. Since I am here alone, I was not impressed. This late snow will stunt all the recent beginning of blooms on my azaleas and other spring plants. Because we are selling the house this spring, I was hoping for no late snows this year. Shortly after grunting my displeasure of this snow late yesterday, I thought of you Sis.

Losing Jason is like a "devestating snow" that stunted your and the children's blooms for a while. But, the sun is out today and by noon tomorrow, the snow will be gone. Then those plants and bushes will soak up the warms days ahead and begin to remake or repair their blooms.

When spring comes, we will remember that snow, but the effects of it will be minimalized in light of the blooming spring. Your spring is coming Sis, and we are all here to fertilize you until Spring comes. Love you. Miss you J.

her said...

what great memories to whisper into your childrens ears.

We came to TBC in 99 so I didnot get to witness your wedding ceremony but I did get to witness your live together. I believe the wedding day continued for 11 yrs! Didn't it?

The pictures are great! And anyone who had Brett and Alisa sing had a blessed event!

So today being 3-1-09 you start another month...full of anticipation and sorrow but mostly full of joy in those 3 kid-o's!

Dear Stephanie, you have made it so far and I trust God to get you through the rest, into rest!

You are so loved by so many!
Joy, Ms Debi

the beach bum said...

Well done, Steph (as usual).
I remember too.
Of course, I also remember the early days. All of us in the youth ministry had decided y'all should be married years before an actual ring was given. Amazing that we didn't jinx it all. *grin*
I also *clearly* recall when J caught me heading out of a Christmas Eve service @ TBC & told me he was about to pop the question in just a few minutes. What a joy!
Been praying for you this weekend, my friend. Thanks for sharing your journey with us and thereby strengthening us all. It is a *great* honor to be a small part of y'all's life. Press on this day too.
Love,
Mike

Anonymous said...

Oh Stephanie, what a blessing you are by sharing your life with us. You are so taken care of by God, I thank Him that you see that. By the way you were quite the beautiful couple together, thanks for putting the pics up. I remember when the Valentine's sang and thought this is such a worshipful place!! It was beautiful, your lives have continued to be a celebration of worship to our faithful God. I am so proud of you!! Love ya!!

Regina B. said...

Stephanie,
Thank you for once again sharing through your grief and being so very transparent. My heart felt so heavy for you as I read you comments. I also sensed a strength that is maturing day by day. I'm sure Jason whispers to you in your dreams . . . "God be with you 'til we meet again".

Always a Southern Girl said...

What an awesome story! It makes me cherish my husband even more. Thank you for sharing with us!

Dee Dee said...

Stephani - I'm not sure if I've ever posted, but I'm a friend of Amy R.'s. Your wedding pictures are absolutely beautiful, and I think I was prompted to finally post because one of my favorite pics of Todd and me is in the limo right before leaving the church, and I loved this picture of you and Jason, too.

I just wanted you to know that I pray for you and think of you very often. Todd and his family knew Jason a LONG time ago in Hattiesburg. His parents were children's leaders at Temple. I have kept them updated on your incredible journey, and they are praying for your precious family, too.

I am moved to be thankful for my family and faithful to my Lord every time I visit your blog. Thank you!
Dee Dee Williams