Saturday, February 14, 2009

Jesus, I Am Resting

Most of you know how much music ministers to me as I am constantly writing about how our Lord used a particular song to speak to me. There is a song entitled "Jesus, I Am Resting" that I was introduced to many years ago. I loved the actual music so much, but the words are so very rich. I haven't heard this song in quite some time. I recently purchased a new CD and it happened to be on it.


As I was listening to this song again this week, at first I asked myself, "Stephanie, are you really resting in Him?" I begin to think of what the word rest really means in this context. Listen here to the song before you read the remainder of my post. I have also included the lyrics to read.


Jesus I am resting, resting
In the Joy of what Thou art;
I am finding out the greatness
Of Thy loving heart.
Thou hast bid me gaze upon Thee,
And Thy beauty fills my soul,
For by Thy transforming power
Thou hast made me whole.

Chorus:

Jesus, I am resting, resting
In the joy of what Thou art;
I am finding out the greatness
Of Thy loving heart.

O how great Thy loving kindness.
Vaster, broader than the sea!
O how marvellous Thy goodness,
Lavished all on me!
Yes, I rest in Thee, Beloved,
Know Thy certainty of promise,
And have made it mine.

Simply trusting Thee, Lord Jesus,
I behold Thee as Thou art,
And Thy love, so pure, so changeless,
Satisfies my heart;
Satisfies its deepest longings,
Meets supplies its every need,
Compasseth me round with blessings;
Thine is love indeed!

Ever lift Thy face upon me,
As I work and wait for Thee;
Resting 'neath Thy smile, Lord Jesus,
Earth's dark shadows flee.
Brightness of my Father's glory,
Sunshine of my Father's face,
Keep me ever trusting, resting;
Fill me with Thy grace.


I decided to look up the word rest in the dictionary. One of the definitions of rest was to be at peace. Am I at peace with what my Lord has done and continues to do in my life? The answer was a resounding YES! Do I miss Jason terribly? Another resounding YES! Do I hurt incredibly? More than I can even describe to you, BUT I am still incredibly blown away at how much love my Savior has for me.


As I write this post, most are celebrating Valentine's Day. Obviously this is not a day I was really looking forward to as it is yet another first without Jason. I would love nothing more than to be celebrating this day with him. However, as I think about this day I can't help but be overwhelmed with the love of our Savior. This song so beautifully talks about how much loving kindness our Lord has for us...broader than the sea. The vastness of the sea sometimes overwhelms me with my eyes, but to think of it in terms of how much our Lord loves us...wow!


As I continue to trust Him, I will continue to rest in our Lord as I work and wait for Thee. Even in the pain. My Lord does satisfy my deepest longings. No one else on this earth can. I am certainly experiencing His loving kindness more and more each day. To Him be the glory!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My friend, you have so beautifully explained what Valentine's is all about...resting in Jesus' love. Thank you for reminding me that were it not for Jesus, there would be no LOVE.

Laurie in Ca. said...

Asking God to fill you with His love to overflowing today Sweet Stephanie. I am thinking of you and you have my heart as you realize another "first" without Sweet Jason. I will remember to realize the vastness of Gods love as I drive by the ocean each day. It has no end in sight as far as I can see. It is amazing to think of His love for us this way. I love you Stephanie and pray for you and the kids to have peaceful and gentle days as you journey through this season of life. I know He loves you to infinity.

Love and Many Hugs, Laurie

Sabrina Miller McDonald said...

you wereon my mind last night...continually praying for you and the little ones...love to you

Laurie in Ca. said...

Just stopping by this evening to let you know I am thinking about you and I love you Stephanie. I hope you are having sweet rest in the arms of our Lord, moment by moment. I am sending you lots of love and a huge hug tonight. I miss you and continue praying for you and the kids.

Love and Hugs, Laurie