Saturday, July 25, 2009

What's on Your Bucket List?


(Scott here.) On July 10, 2008, the greatest man I have ever known entered Heaven’s gate.

Stephanie asked prior to the anniversary of J’s passing, on this and other venues, for everyone’s memories and stories about Jason during his 33 years on this Earth. I was comforted and blessed by reading those recounts and seeing those pictures, and I can only imagine how much it comforted and blessed Steph. I abstained from offering my memories until this point, but my most lasting memory is more about his impact than any particular event or circumstance.

In 2004, Tim McGraw released a song named "Live like you were Dying." He refers to what for Jason was January 7, 2008. He talks of someone who gets news that "this might be the end." We all had unceasing faith and hope on January 7 and until July 10th, but as I read Internet site after site, I realized on that first day that "this might be the end." The ugly L-word is ugly for a reason.

McGraw’s song is powerful as he recounts all that his father did when he got the news that the end was near. In a powerful way, he recounts the "bucket list" of his father. (Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman made the "bucket list" term famous in the 2007 movie by the same title that was about what they wanted to do when faced with death. )

McGraw’s dad went skydiving, he went rocky mountain climbing, and he went 2.7 seconds on a bull named Fu Man Chu. He loved deeper, and he spoke sweeter. He gave forgiveness that he’d been denying. All the while, he hoped that others would get the chance to LIVE LIKE THEY WERE DYING. But for the subject of the song, he had to find out he WAS dying to live like he was dying.

From the beginning of his illness, Jason was far too ill to go skydiving or to ride a bull, but I doubt he would have even if he physically could have. Instead, he spent the next 6 months fighting for his life, getting to know his Heavenly Father even better and loving his family every chance he got and in every way he possibly could. To me though, the last six months were almost inconsequential as it relates to his bucket list.

J’s lasting legacy and my most precious memory is that he lived every day from the day I met him living "like he was dying." I remember on July 12th, 2008 listening to Paul Koonce, Scott Hall, Dr. Ronnie Kent, Dr. Nagan Bellare and my amazing pop celebrate Jason’s life by pointing all those in attendance to live like Jason lived. Jason lived every day from the moment he gave his life to Christ like he was dying. He knew, like most of us claim to know, that every moment was precious. He lived fulfilling his "bucket list" for many years prior to learning that the end may be near.

He didn’t sky dive or ride a bull, but he loved my sister like she was the only woman on Earth. He adored his children, and his massive arms could calm even a colic baby – not only due to their size, but primarily because all three of his children could feel the unceasing love in his grasp. Every friend he ever had from every walk you could imagine looked up to him due to his convictions and the way he lived his life. He loved his friends in such an unconditional way that he had no enemies. These are but the surface. As you dig deeper into Jason Weathers’ life, you see even more how he lived every day like he was dying.

My desired bucket list is simple. I want to live like I am dying in the same way Jon Jason Weathers did every day of his life.

I miss you J. I will always love you sis. May God continue to bless those precious children. As Dr. Kent pointed out during J’s celebration service, Psalms 112 promises us that blessed is the man who fears the Lord, who finds great delight in His command. His children will be mighty in the land. Because of this, I know that great things await Anna Lea, Jon Brent and Ally. I rest assured in these words.

God bless Jon Jason Weathers during this anniversary month. I can’t wait to see him one day. (J, put in a good word for your brother and me. We need it.)

Scott

3 comments:

Kara said...

This is amazing! This was right in line with Pastor Wicker's sermon tonight! You MUST watch it online (www.fbcn.org)! :)

God is at work! :) He is NEVER surprised by anything!

Stephanie said...

Scott,
Thank you for these words. I have heard that song several times since J's passing and every time I thought of J. I am so incredibly blessed to have had him in my life. I realize that more and more each day. I, too, am blessed to have you for a brother. Thanks for walking with me thru this journey. Thanks for loving and remembering sweet J. He loved you much and believe it or not...he wished he was a LITTLE like you! Heehee!
Seriously...thanks for this. A treasure for me.
Love you lots,
Steph

Anonymous said...

What an incredible tribute to an "in-law", and I am sure it has left many of us striving to be better at being "one of those", because you don't hear a whole lot of positives about in-laws in general. You are so right - Jason was truly a special young man and such a blessing to so many, and how I wish we had spent more time as families with the Weathers so that our children could have REALLY known each other, rather than just knowing who each other is. I am quite sure that you expressed the feelings of not only Stephanie, but Jon Mark, Peggy and Brad, as well, along with a host of others. This tribute is something that for now is such a blessing to them, but oh, what a wonderful gift to be preserved for those three precious children for the future. I thank you for this gift to them, and continue to pray for the entire family many, many times each and every day. Love and prayers to you all, carolyn laster