Saturday, June 13, 2009


(Recent photos of the kids before VBS two mornings)

I have sat down to blog over the last several days (usually late at night), but each time I would begin I just couldn't do it. It's been a very busy week because of Vacation Bible School, which was great, but it has also been a very difficult week for me. I say often that grief is really tricky and the last 10 days have been just that. I had just told my good friend Mary Margaret last Friday that I really felt I was doing so much better emotionally. Anyway, I can recognize several factors causing this week to be rough, but I think a lot of it is the fact that we are approaching July 12th. A year.

Last Sunday our pastor preached a sermon on raising children. As I sat and listened I became so overwhelmed with the task before me in raising my children without their daddy. I was so overwhelmed that the tears began to flow and I couldn't stop them. I kept asking the Lord, "how can I do this alone?" The responsibility is tremendous. This week I was reminded of something someone told me once..."if He calls you to it, He'll equip you to do it." My Lord has called me to a life without my husband so once again I must trust that He'll equip me to raise these children without him. I hurt deeply as I listened to our pastor talk about how important it was for a daddy to "date" his daughter(s) in order to prepare them on how they were to be treated one day. Jason was so good at spending one on one time with Anna Lea and did it quite frequently. (Unfortunately, he never really got to do this with Ally.) Once again my heart broke as I thought about Anna Lea and Ally not having their daddy model to them how a man should treat a woman. During the invitation it was as if the Lord quietly whispered in my heart, "I will be the father to the fatherless..." (Psalm 68:5 - "Father of the fatherless and protector of widows is God in his holy habitation.") What a promise! How I am clinging to this very promise right now!

I have been following several individuals who had been battling AML over the last year and a half. Over the last 2 weeks, three of these individuals have lost their battle with this nasty disease. On Tuesday night, I learned that yet another one of them relapsed for a 3rd time. Once again my heart broke. I hurt so deeply for these families as I know the dark valley they will have to walk through in the coming days. As I thought about their loss as well as my own, I began to ponder God's ways. Once again, I was reminded His ways are NOT our ways.
Isaiah 55:8-9
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."
His thoughts are so much HIGHER than ours. I believe with everything within me that He is sovereign and that ultimately His plan is far better than mine. If I don't believe that then I might as well pull the covers over my head and not ever get out of bed. He is my ONLY hope! Why did Jason Weathers have to die at 33 and leave a wife and 3 small children? I may never know, but one thing I do know is that we were put on this earth for HIS glory. Yes, it hurts deeply. More than I ever thought possible, but through it all He does sustain me. He loves me with an everlasting love even when I question His ways.
There have been moments this week that I have thought I can't possibly take this pain anymore... only to be encouraged by a text message, facebook message, or friends for lunch/dinner. I am SO blessed to have such GREAT friends who never seem to grow weary of their 'needy' friend these days. Our Lord is using all of these ways to keep me going and for that I am so incredibly thankful.
A friend of mine and Jason's sent me an email the other day with the lyrics to a song that blessed me so much. Indeed I needed these words at the very moment he sent them, too. (Another way God worked.) I want to share them with you, but I also want you to hear the song. Please click on the link...HERE
The video that goes with the song isn't all that great, but the song is so good.
The Valley Song by Jars of Clay
You have led me to the sadness
I have carried this pain
On a back bruised, nearly broken
I'm crying out to you
I will sing of Your mercy
That leads me through valleys of sorrow
To rivers of joy
When death like a Gypsy
Comes to steal what I love
I will still look to the heavens
I will still seek your face
But I fear you aren't listening
Because there are no words
Just the stillness and the hunger
For a faith that assures
Alleluia, alleluia
Alleluia, alleluia
While we wait for rescue
With our eyes tightly shut
Face to the ground using our hands
To cover the fatal cut
And though the pain is an ocean
Tossing us around, around, around
You have calmed greater waters
Higher mountains have come down (my FAVORITE part!)

7 comments:

Laurie in Ca. said...

Hi Sweet Stephanie,

My heart sure hurts for you as I read of the pain that is always there and wish I could hug you and tell you I love you and am walking this journey with you from afar. The kids are growing so big and beautiful girl. I don't know how you do it but God sure does and He has promised to always be with you. You prove this in your words here. He must have an incredible future for you if He trusts you so much to have you go through this. I am praying for you and I love you very much.

Love and Hugs, Laurie

Shasta Looper said...

Stephanie,
Thinking of you today. It's hard to believe that a year has passed. I've followed your blog on a weekly basis and I'm thankful for the transparency that you allow people to see your grief, your pain, your victory, your joy, and your reliance on the Heavenly
Father. Your children are blessed to have you as their example.

Amy said...

You have been on my mind so often over the past week. I think that I am also keenly aware that the one year mark is approaching.

I REALLY need to spend some time with you. I am hoping to get there SOON. BUT, should you need to get out and get away, feel free to travel this way. I'd love to visit.

(We can't let SLAM weekends fizzle out. We've got to schedule it!)

Anonymous said...

Stephanie -
Thank you once again, for your precious transparency and candidness. You always touch me where I need to be touched. Your strength and wisdom really shine through although you feel like a wreck. You are bolstering others when you don't even realize it. Keep walking the walk ... you ARE doing the work. :) In His Love, Regina Breland

Anonymous said...

Stephanie- I have been thinking of you. I am praying for you. All of your kids are so beautiful and precious. I know it isn't easy for you. You are such an example of relying on God. I am not much of a cryer, but I cry so often when I read your blog. It's just like God is speaking right through your life and the example you are leading. Praying for you more than ever.
Christy Guined

Mary Jane said...

You are one of the most beautiful people I know..... Thank you for the scriptures you post and the pictures you share...you are a very special and wonderful person that has made a tremendous impact on my life....Thank you!

Always a Southern Girl said...

Hi Stephanine, Just remember, you are not raising these children alone. First, God is right there with you and then second, he has provided you with such a wonderful family and support system. I know that's not the same as having Jason, but it is so awesome that you have it.

Praying for you in the weeks to come.


Hugs, Renee