Saturday, May 9, 2009

Happy Mother's Day, Mom



Proverbs 31:15-31


She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls. She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks.
She sees that her trading is profitable, and her lamp does not go out at night.
In her hand she holds the distaff and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy.
When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
She makes coverings for her bed; she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
Her husband is respected at the city gate, where he takes his seat among the elders of the land. She makes linen garments and sells them, and supplies the merchants with sashes.
She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come.
She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.
Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her:
"Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all."
Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised. Give her the reward she has earned, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.


Mother's Day. I am certainly thankful for a day set aside to honor my mother. I am going to attempt in a very small way to honor her for all she does for me. Nancy Shows is like no other. I call her the Energizer Bunny...she keeps going and going and going and going! Most of her "going" now revolves around my needs. Scott would tell you that I have always dominated her, but I will admit that has definitely been the case over the last year and a half. When Jason got sick, she stepped into overdrive and hasn't stopped. I did excuse her for 5 days when she and my dad went to the beach back in September. Everything fell apart while she was gone so I informed her that she couldn't do that again for a while! Ha!

Every night she calls me and asks, "what do you need me to do for you tomorrow?" No joke! It's almost embarassing to even admit! :) On the days that I work, she arrives at my house at 7:45 a.m. to care for Jon Brent and Ally. Not only does she take care of them, but most days I come home to a "Nancy" clean house along with the laundry washed and folded. Those of you who know my mom well know what "Nancy" cleans means. NO ONE cleans like my mom. And guess what? I didn't inherit that gene!

She willingly gave up a career last year that she loved and excelled in tremendously in order to help me with the kids. The origianal reason she planned to retire early was so that she could take care of the kids while I cared for Jason when he received the bone marrow transplant in Birmingham. The transplant never came, but I certainly couldn't have made it ONE without my mom after Jason died. God knew I needed a mom like Nancy Shows for such a time as this!

The financial sacrifice she makes DAILY for me and my family are more than appreciated. As many moms do, she does without so that we don't have to! The love and time she gives my kids is unbelievable.

I know she never dreamed at this stage of her life that she would be doing what she is doing, but I praise God DAILY for her. She is a rock for me. She is always there. She keeps on keeping on for me even when I am at my lowest and not the most fun to be around. She gets the good, the bad, and the ugly. I know she grows very weary and I pray CONTINUALLY that our Lord would sustain her.

As I re-read Proverbs 31 today, I was once again reminded how this passage truly describes Nancy Shows. Mom, Happy Mother's Day. I hope you understand how incredibly thankful I am for you. I hope you know that not a SINGLE days goes by that I don't thank our Lord that he saw fit to bless me with a mom like you. Thank you for all you do. Thank you most importantly for loving Jesus more than me and continually pointing me to Him! The life you live has to be most pleasing to our Lord. Oh, to be more like you! I know that would certainly make your life easier! ha! I love you MUCH! May God bless you over and over!


SIDE NOTES:
1. Thank you Scott and Ashley for being so understanding that I do dominate Nana so much. One day I pray I won't be so needy! :)

2. Also, thanking God for Mrs. Peggy this weekend. So thankful that she raised such wonderful boys in Jason as well as Brad. I know this Mother's Day will be hard for her as it her first Mother's Day without J. Praying you through this day, Mrs. Peggy.

7 comments:

Becky said...

As always, beautifully written. The nut doesn't fall far from the tree by the way...

Anonymous said...

AMEN. AMEN. AMEN. Can I get an amen? My mom is truly indescribable. Thanks Nana. You are loved, and I hope you enjoy your day.

Scott

Anonymous said...

That was beautiful Steph. And I agree with Becky 100%. Anna Lea & Ally have been richly blessed to have illustrations of Proverbs 31 women constantly in their lives. Hope you have a truly good day today. Love you, Kristen

Laurie in Ca. said...

This is beautiful Stephanie. And this is what mothers do for their children. Loves sacrifices aren't really sacrifices at all. I would do the same for my kids, and someday you will be doing these things for your kids on a bigger scale. It is a God Thing and boy do we serve a wonderful God. Have a wonderful day. I love you girl.

Love and Hugs, Laurie

Nancy said...

Thanks Steph! The greatest blessing I have is being a wife and mother! God has truly blessed me with a wonderful daughter, son, daughter-in-law, and five precious grandchildren. All of you are my pride and joy. I treasure the times I spend with each of you and opportunities that I can assist you. I am grateful that I can witness Christ's love, obedience, and demeanor in the lives of my children! I love and appreciate you! Mom

Always a Southern Girl said...

How beautiful!! I hope you had a great Mother's Day too.

Laurie in Ca. said...

Hi Sweet Stephanie,

Just stopping by on this Saturday morning to say Hi and I am thinking about you. Praying for your days too. I love you.

Love and Hugs, Laurie