Monday, March 30, 2009

Celebrating LIFE




This weekend we had the opportunity to travel to Memphis where my brother Scott and his wife Ashley live. This wasn't just any trip to Memphis rather the chance to celebrate Ross Alan Shows' 4th birthday! His actual birth date is March 13, but Saturday was the day set aside to celebrate the occasion.



Here is the birthday boy. Such a fun and sweet little boy. It was a great party and the kids had a blast. Jon Brent and Anna Lea have been looking forward to this for weeks! Months even. Going to Memphis is always a special treat for both of them. Anyway, the date chosen for the party couldn't have been better for me. You see, March 28, is another one of those significant dates for me. On March 28, 1992, Jason and I went on our very first date. Since we dated for so long (6 years), he and I celebrated this date every year as our anniversary until we married. During the first year of dating, we celebrated each month! I know...we were VERY young and SO in love! Jason usually brought me flowers or sometimes just a sweet and mushy card. Either way, March 28, will always be a special day for me. Usually these days are really difficult and I cry a lot, but I am so pleased to say that Saturday was different. It was a real celebration.

Saturday was great because I was surrounded by family which is always my favorite. More importantly, I was able to celebrate the birth and life of Ross. I have always loved birthdays, especially mine, (ha!) but since Jason's death, birthdays are even more important to me. Call me crazy, but I even get a little emotional when singing "Happy Birthday." Saturday was so special because as I looked at sweet little Ross, I prayed for him even amongst the organized chaos. I thanked God for his precious little life. I asked God to grant favor on him for all of his days. I prayed he'd always choose the path of righteousness. I prayed he would always make wise choices in who his friends were and ultimately the person he'd one day marry. I also prayed for his salvation and really look forward to the day we travel north to celebrate that! I am most grateful to have been blessed with such an amazing brother and sister in law. Being with them, my parents, Ashley's parents and ALL the kids was so good. I did miss Jason so much as I do each and everyday, but getting to celebrate LIFE was so good for my soul.

Enjoy the pictures of the weekend...



Mo and Anderson (Ashley's mom)

Bob-B and G (Ashley's dad and my dad)

Scott with one of his good friends sweet baby girl

me and Ash

Nana, Ally, and Anderson

Scott and Anderson on the slide

Bob-B and Anna Lea











Jon Brent and his best bud

May we all celebrate LIFE...even in the midst of grief. Each day truly is a gift!



"This is the day the Lord has made, let us REJOICE and be glad in it!"

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Pics, Steph. Glad you had a great weekend. We love to celebrate life around here, too! Still praying.....Laura Jo

Cherrie said...

Your children are so beautiful and must be such a blessing to you and your family. Thanks for the sharing!

Always a Southern Girl said...

So glad you had a great weekend. Great pictures. Still praying for you. Renee

Anonymous said...

Pump It UP, huh? Really. So, I think what I'm going to do is tell Anna Lea & Jon Brent that you have two free tickets to a Pump It Up only an hour & a half away. Plus, you have free money to Backyard Burger and you are keeping it from them. Oooh, I'm telling......

Loved the pictures. The one of your dad smiling was obviously taken before the break-in, right? I'm betting he wasn't all smiles after that.

Hope you have a great week & weekend ahead. I know you are going to have a great time with your friends in B'ham, which is 3 & a half hours away. Did I mention that I live just an hour & a half away? Oh that's right. I'm not talking to you, I'm talking to Anna Lea & Jon Brent.....

Love you much,
Kristen

Unknown said...

Amen, sister! Well said! I noticed there were no pics of your bother--he must have been working the party!

Love,

Kim Hodges

Anonymous said...

I cannot tell you enough what an encouragement you are! I am constantly learning something from you on my news feed on facebook! Thank you so much for allowing God to consume your life and flow out of you into me and many others! I am truly blessed to be able to watch and learn from you!...
in CHRIST alone,
Deane Pierce

Laurie in Ca. said...

I am so glad to read that you had a wonderful time of celebrating with family. All of the kids are so adorable and happy. They sure know how to party don't they? I am happy that this was a good time for your soul sweetie. I love you and continue to pray for you.

Love and Hugs, Laurie
PS. Where is Scott in these pictures?

Anonymous said...

I saw Scott. I feel like the winner in a contest of who can find the little animal. What's the prize?
Those pictures were wonderful. I haven't posted in along time but still thinking about you daily and sending love, hugs and prayers.
Elane