Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter...in a new light

Last year Jason and I spent Easter Sunday in Forrest General receiving platelets as he had just received a week of chemo the week prior. His platelet count had bottomed out completely and waiting until Monday was not an option. He felt horrible and we were both emotional and very much on edge all morning. (A regret of mine, but that's for another entry.) He was frustrated that he couldn't be with the kids on Easter as it was Ally's first. It certainly didn't rank as one of our favorite Easter's. This year was different for us both.

I thought about last Easter a lot today and all that has changed since then. I thought how I wished Jason could be here to celebrate our risen Savior and then I realized he is celebrating our risen Savior like never before! As I have contemplated the cross this week I have once again become more in awe of the love our Father has for us. I have worshipped the Lord this week in a way I never have. I have felt His incredible love in a way that still boggles my brain at times...not to mention my heart.

"Death is swallowed up in victory." "O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?" The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain. 1 Corinthians 15...this entire passage has taken on a whole new meaning this Easter. He has swallowed up death!

I shared these verses of scripture with Anna Lea as we were getting ready for church. I reminded her that because of our Lord's great love for us He sent His only son to die, but not only to die, but to be raised up on day 3 and conquer death once and for all. She asked me what the word conquer meant. Before I could even finish she finished for me. "Mom, because He died, we can see daddy again." Yes! Amen and amen, Anna Lea! She gets it. Do you know how that thrills my soul? Now, if I could just get Jon Brent on the same page! :) In time, I know.


My God is good. Although I miss Jason more than words can adequately express, my soul has experienced healing. I am so incredibly thankful.

Lord Jesus, thank you for the cross! Thank you for what you are doing in my heart. Lord, may I always be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that if I remain in you, your labor is not in vain.


P.S. How perfect is it that Allyson Laine Weathers took her first steps today? Such a sweet Easter in SO many ways! To Him be the Glory!

10 comments:

Jayme said...

Stephanie, you all look so 'pretty' and happy! Love, Jayme

Becky said...

Absolutely beautiful!

Meet the Robinsons said...

Stephanie- you look so pretty, we need to get the kids together sometime!

Laurie in Ca. said...

I am so grateful for your Easter blessings and Miss Ally taking her first steps too! I love reading that your soul is experiencing healing Stephanie, I pray this for you so often. My heart hurts for you missing Jason. I can't even imagine how his celebration was in heaven this year. He is living the gift of resurrection, what we all wait for and long for. God bless you my sweet friend and I continue to pray you through. I love how Anna Lea "gets it"!!

Love and Hugs, Laurie

The Metz Family said...

Stephanie-
You gotta love those lightbulb moments with the kids! They have a way of explaining things that make it easier for everyone!!!!!They are all so precious and sweet! I know her Uncle Brad was so proud of those steps!!!!

Amy said...

Wonderful post, Steph.

I enjoyed it all...the pics, the scripture, the memories. Thanks.

Every "first" sounds like it gets a little easier, and I am thankful for that.

We need to get a plan for June. It will be here before we know it.

Amy

Sydney Sanders said...

so so so so cute!!!!

grammys heart said...

Stephanie,
What a beautiful post. You are moving ahead wonderfully. I know even though you have your very low times, your faith is carrying you through. You will never be the same, although you will be better for the experience. You are already a comfort to others who are walking the same road and many who may accidentally find your site will also find great stength.
Keep on writing and being so honest with your feelings. It helps us all and gives each one of us encouragement to keep moving ahead in this journey called LIFE.
Love,
Mrs. Sandra Kelly
Proverbs 3:5-6

odomfamilyfun said...

Love those sweet pics! Caroline & Hayes wore those same outfits on Easter, too :)
You are so right, Jason is witht the RISEN Lord...how amazing! Ana Lea is wise beyond her years...what a gift!
Much Love

Always a Southern Girl said...

Love your Easter outfits! Yes, Jesus thank you for the cross!!